Fishing in the Gulf, info requested.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for info.

Mrs Dumpstick decided we want to go fishing in the Gulf (of Mexico) next year (2020). Maybe a couple day-trips, with a few days in between. Anywhere on the Gulf is fine, Texas preferred. I would druther avoid Houston.
A friend of mine mentioned Port Aransis, but I know nothing of it.

We are looking for recommendations on charter boats/captains for the trip. Neither of us has ever been salt-water fishing. She likes fishing, I'm just a participant.

I want someplace that will clean/package whatever fish are caught. I can bait my own hook, thank you very much.

Has anyone here done this in the past few years ? ?

ARnut

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We did a trip out of orange beach, Alabama last summer. We used distraction charters and caught a lot of reds and trigger fish. Also did one out of port Aransas and caught quite a bit of fish just can’t remember who we used. Distraction has a Facebook page if you are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No Idea on the salt water deal but if you have not tried paddle fish snagging you should give it a try.
Below lock 16 is my favorite spot.
You can hook into some huge fish and even possibly get a record gar longnose there the record is only 43 lbs.
I caught larger but ate them not knowing :(
See my avatar that is below lock 16.

Not for people that can't maneuver on rocks well or maneuver well on land.
Hard fishing from shore.
End of March is a good time to try it out.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Port A, Rockport, and Corpus are great places to get out in the crystal clear gulf. Dolphin season doesn't really warm up til late March through October. We've booked most of our offshore trips, from Tx to LA and Florida, over at fishingbooker.com. They provide clear prices and have reviews. It also helps to cross reference facebook reviews and trip advisor. Take dramamine with you and post pics of your bulls.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for info.

Mrs Dumpstick decided we want to go fishing in the Gulf (of Mexico) next year (2020). Maybe a couple day-trips, with a few days in between. Anywhere on the Gulf is fine, Texas preferred. I would druther avoid Houston.

We are looking for recommendations on charter boats/captains for the trip. Neither of us has ever been salt-water fishing. She likes fishing, I'm just a participant.

I want someplace that will clean/package whatever fish are caught. I can bait my own hook, thank you very much.

Visit this web site
https://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast-31/

Everything you want to know about Gulf Coast Fishing from Texass to the Florida tip.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for info.

Visit this web site
https://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast-31/

Everything you want to know about Gulf Coast Fishing from Texass to the Florida tip.

Since the OP was looking for charter info, this would be the better page: https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum-20/

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info fellas, I'm going to put all the links on Mrs Dumpsticks' desk. She's taking the lead on this. Mostly because it's her idea, but also because I'm not interested enough to follow through on it.

Fishing has never really interested me, but I don't mind going. What the heck, I've never been out of sight of land, at least whilst in a boat.

One does some things simply because one is married...

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A group of my high school buddies went every year. We always used captain Elliot’s out of Freeport Texas. We chartered a 12 person boat and stayed away from the party barges.

The reason we went out of Freeport was because you are in deeper water faster. We would go out 60 miles which took 4 hours each way. This was not site seeing trip or joy ride. The captain knew we were there to fill our ice chests and we always did. After 2 days of fishing each of us had filled our 48 quart chests with fillets. We always went out in August, it was hot, but it was open season on all the fish species.

Once you break 80 pound test line on a 25 pound black fin tuna, fresh water fishing will never be the same!

Latest posts

Top Bottom