Fishing in the Gulf, info requested.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We go to Port Aransas most years. Dolphin Docks and fish with Capt Tim or his son Timmy (who was the youngest ever licensed captain in the state and has also held several Grouper records).
Capt James Wheeler is also a great captain down at Deep Sea HQ, I believe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Beware of the cheap group charters. You will be shoulder to shoulder with others on the boat and most of your time will be spent with getting your line untangled from those on either side of you.
Spend a few more bucks with lower numbers of folks fishing.
The further south you go down the Tx coast the closer the continental shelf gets and that is where the big fish are.
Snagging spoonbill in Ok is the closest we have to salt water fishing.
Tail hook a 80-100 lb spoonbill in swift current, you have a fight on your hands that is going to take every ounce of your strength to get in.
That being said, nothing better than a big yellowfin tuna for some incredible sushi.

Last edited:

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1147.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg

Port Aransas is fun, buy your fishing license at the IGA.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 81

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 132633 View attachment 132634

Port Aransas is fun, buy your fishing license at the IGA.
Are the ones on the ground vermillion snapper?
In August when we were fishing in the gulf, when I caught a vermillion snapper I left it close to bottom after setting hook and waited. Pretty soon, the rod felt like the hook just snagged a train. After a good give and take fight for about 10 minutes, we landed a 30-35 pound AJ!

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use to live in Galveston and saw the charter boats...where they docked and cleaned your fish. I just can't remember the names...I used a buddy's boat...one where my wife just had to go with me one time. She didn't have her sea legs and she threw up like a power washer on the highest setting!!!

Galveston:

I don't know ANYTHING about these guys, so I can't give a "Pro" or a "Con" on them.
https://www.galveston.com/fishingcharters/

What I would do is call a few Bait Shops and see who they recommend.
https://www.galveston.com/smittys/

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Bait+Shops&find_loc=Galveston,+TX

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fisherman, so I couldn't say what the fish are. However, "vermillion" is another word for "red." For example, this image is of what are called the Vermillion Cliffs of the Grand Staircase in southern Utah. This particular image is of the cliffs in Arizona.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a fisherman, so I couldn't say what the fish are. However, "vermillion" is another word for "red." For example, this image is of what are called the Vermillion Cliffs of the Grand Staircase in southern Utah. This particular image is of the cliffs in Arizona.

Vermillion Snapper and Red Snapper are different and have different limits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom