Fishing Lake Tanneycomo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
dennishoddy;109662 said:
Been on Lake Tanneycomo in Missouri for the last week trout fishing. Tanneycomo is the tail waters of Table Rock lake. When there are no generators running, its a lake with a very slow current that has to be maintained to keep the water cold enough to support trout. When they run the generators, Tanneycomo becomes a river with current. It's not very wide.
Been tough with the high water coming into Table Rock lake. Lots of generators running with high water levels.
High water levels mean lots of algae, moss and other debris washing up from the bottom of the lake. Every cast has moss on it when retrieved, so one can only hope for a bite before getting tangled in the moss.
Still a successful trip in my opinion. Caught my personal best rainbow trout at 18.5" and 3.2 lbs. Caught several 16-16.5" fish.
Been fishing for big fish this trip using big streamers and Woolly Buggers that the stockers won't be interested in with the fly rod. Lots of time on the water, not much time putting fish into the net.

a4f83bc46b4ca18106a78ba611c5f260.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is one healthy looking rainbow Dennis! I've never fly fished but I plan on it.......someday!
It becomes an obsession. With the action of the fly rod, small fish become a great fight. I had Pandora playing bluetooth on my hearing aids. It took three songs to get the fish to the boat and netted, so that should be about 6 minutes. 2 lb tippit on the line.
That being said, the owner of the resort we are staying at landed a 11 lb + rainbow from the same area the day before using 2 lb line. Took him a bit longer to bring it to the net. He does a daily report of taking one cast to see if he can catch a trout. If I remember right he is about 50%. We have been staying at his resort for 30 years now, typically in the fall when the big brown trout and rainbows come up the lake to spawn. Good time to fish for the big ones. My best Brown is 24" that weighed a little over 9 pounds. That is a dink compared to some that have been caught on that lake.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! They should put a few striper in there. :drunk5:

There is actually some great bass fishing from Rockaway beach to the dam. A lot of folks come for the bass fishing vs the trout because they bass are overlooked. With the cold water, 2-3 lb are common, not many bigger. Not sure they want stripers in this section of the White River.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure they want stripers in this section of the White River.
When we first moved here in '76, you wouldn't believe the area folks that complained about the stocking of Lake Texoma with stripers.

Apparently they multiply like rabbits and pretty much kill off (or drastically reduce) most everything else. :/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Makes me want to go trout fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I catch and release all but some of the stockers to eat. Saved two that had been caught today for dinner. 16" trout that were cooked hobo style within minutes of their demise. Put a layer of bacon on some heavy duty foil, then layered bell pepper, onion, shrooms, garlic, salt, pepper on them and another layer on top. Put on the grill for 15 minutes on each side and ate.
It doesn't' get much better eating.

209c9365100ad88bf6fb0f64ffd16d84.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom