Fishing - line wt to lure wt to reel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most recently, I've gotten into these smaller "micro rods" and I've began doing some general test testing even with some longer rods that are still considered lighter tackle. Primarily what rig for what lure & what reel for what line. I know there is some level of forgiveness but here is what I've found so far.

500 (or 50) series spinning reel w/ 4lb line doesn't work well on the micro rods when used for casting and retrieving lures. Works best on 5ft light or ultra-light action rod w/ 1/16th - 1/8th oz lure. Probably could use 1/6 too but I think 1/4 is pushing it for 4lb line. I'll be throwing all my 1/16 oz lures on the 5ft rod from now on for sure.

1000 (or 10) series spinning reel w/ 6lb line surprisingly works better than 500 w/ 4lb for casting on the 2-3ft (micro) rods rods and of course works good on 5ft light action rod for 1/8th - 1/4 oz lures.

I primarily use rooster tails or rattle traps in this scenario. I do wish the 500 real would have worked well on the 3ft pole because it fits the overall goal of being light and portable but the 1000 just works better for some reason. I think for dock crappie jigging the 500 would be fine though.

Just sharing my latest project; please comment and educate me what I'm doing wrong or right!

Last edited:

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use whatever was on the cheap reel I bought at Academy, along with the coolest looking lures.
I probably don't catch as many as I could if I got more serious about it, but I enjoy being outside and putting a line in the water.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just use whatever was on the cheap reel I bought at Academy, along with the coolest looking lures.
I probably don't catch as many as I could if I got more serious about it, but I enjoy being outside and putting a line in the water.

Don't fish anymore, but I always preferred to put a practice plug on the line, cast it out, and then lie back and take a nap.

Too old for that now. Prefer the recliner or a bed for my naps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom