Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a run this morning to Bass Pro to pick up some glo bug hooks and I always take a Tenkara rod with me. The water was very clear and the Bass in that little lake have seen about everything in the store thrown at `em but I managed to find two that wanted to play...

View attachment 380203

View attachment 380204
There are some decent bass in that little pond. I was in there to look at fly rods last year, and wanted to try one before I bought it. The sales guy hooked me up with the rod, reel and a fly to tryout and went back inside the store.
I'm guessing a 3lb bass came up and grabbed the fly, snapping the tippet as the drag hadn't been properly set on the reel. Didn't expect something that big to be in that pond.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20230527_222953.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the kayak out to Lake Ponca this afternoon to fish a cove I really like with the fly rod but took a spinning rod along as backup which turned out to be a good deal.
Sorry, no pics as the phone stayed in the vehicle.
This cove runs alongside some of the golf course, which the golfers have to drive across, so it's kind of dangerous if you go early, but the last flight is done with that cove around 5pm, so that is when I go fishing.
It was dead calm, absolutely glass for water when launching. Paddled to the bridge where the golfers drive over the cove which is too low for a boat.
Put on some San Juan worms I'd tied and got into the bluegill that were on the beds. Eating sized but didn't keep any. I want them to breed. Caught one almost keeper bass, and a couple of mystery hits that got off. Got broke off with the fly's so many times on hangups that I ran out, so went to the spinning rod back out into the main cove where it's deeper. Caught several nice crappie that were released in the same spot which I know is the edge of a drop off from prior trips with a sonar on the big boat.
Then after about 4 hours on this plastic seat, I was done. Gonna have to take a cushion to sit on next time, so paddled back to the ramp and came home. Plus, the wind changed to the North and it was hard to hold position. I had an anchor and used it, but my posterior area was needing some relief.

Latest posts

Top Bottom