Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I need somebody to school me on these fish.
This has happened to me on 2 other occasions in the same spot on Lake Ponca. But this time I remembered to take my phone with me!
I catch 2 (what I am calling sunfish), usually catch the first one within the first 20 minutes of showing up at the water. Here is the first one.
20200614_155115.jpg

Then within the next 30 minutes I catch another, but the second one has a much smaller mouth, so much smaller that I can't even get my thumb in there to hold it so I can work on the hook.
Here is the pic pic of the second.
20200614_165319.jpg

This is actually the first time that the two fish were not somewhat close to the same color. But all 3 times, the second fish I caught I couldn't get my thumb into the mouth to hold on to it.
So my question is, what is the 2nd fish that has the really small mouth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I need somebody to school me on these fish.
This has happened to me on 2 other occasions in the same spot on Lake Ponca. But this time I remembered to take my phone with me!
I catch 2 (what I am calling sunfish), usually catch the first one within the first 20 minutes of showing up at the water. Here is the first one.
View attachment 165500

Then within the next 30 minutes I catch another, but the second one has a much smaller mouth, so much smaller that I can't even get my thumb in there to hold it so I can work on the hook.
Here is the pic pic of the second.View attachment 165501
This is actually the first time that the two fish were not somewhat close to the same color. But all 3 times, the second fish I caught I couldn't get my thumb into the mouth to hold on to it.
So my question is, what is the 2nd fish that has the really small mouth.
The first one is a green sunfish. The second is a bluegill.
Love fishing for both. The green sunfish is really aggressive when fishing for them. The ODW doesn't recommend them in farm ponds because they are nest robbers for bass that are spawning. The ODW always says to put bluegill into a pond but never green sunfish for that reason.
Personally I love fishing for the sunfish with the fly rod on Ponca lake. Don't care what specie they are.
I've found where the bed locations are over the years.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh, thanks.

So I notice that the "green sunfish", I've caught fairly close to the bank where I've been standing. The bluegill seem to have been caught somewhat farther out.

It is fun catching the little things. Gotta really guess when they have taken the whole lure before setting the hook.

I thought the bluegill put up a bit more of a fight, but that could just be because it was caught father out & I had just lightened the drag on my reel.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahhh, thanks.

So I notice that the "green sunfish", I've caught fairly close to the bank where I've been standing. The bluegill seem to have been caught somewhat farther out.

It is fun catching the little things. Gotta really guess when they have taken the whole lure before setting the hook.

I thought the bluegill put up a bit more of a fight, but that could just be because it was caught father out & I had just lightened the drag on my reel.
They are good eating too

Latest posts

Top Bottom