Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These were trying to spawn. 1-3’ of water. Eggs starting to separate.
BF00D65F-46FB-4B69-9B7F-1B28F98C7D59.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know about a Penn Peerless No 9 or an ABU Ambassadeur 5000

I had a Red #9 for decades before I finally stripped the gears in it.
I ran mono in it and it would cast almost as far as my cousins 7000 ABU. I was always 10 feet short compared to his ..My fishing rod was a thick solid fiberglass 6 footer he had a 12 foot surf rod.

I would get the line stuck on the bottom in the Arkansas river below lock 16 with current flowing while drifting.
I would use the #9 reel as a crank winch to reel the boat up stream against the current and try and unstick it.
After many years of doing that it broke the gears inside.
I got it when I was 12 and if not for using it as a winch i would probably still be using it.

I did get a 6500C3 and it in stock form would not cast as far as the #9 on the same rod.
You must use accurate thumb action on the 9.
I ended up removing the brakes in the 6500C3 and then it would outcast the 9 by a long ways.

I used a 5000 or could have been a 5500 it was years ago and it would cast rubber worms very well into farm ponds.
Line capacity for river fishing was not even close to enough on that little reel.
The Penn reels are excellent once you get used to them..and they are not expensive either.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Red #9 for decades before I finally stripped the gears in it.
I ran mono in it and it would cast almost as far as my cousins 7000 ABU. I was always 10 feet short compared to his ..My fishing rod was a thick solid fiberglass 6 footer he had a 12 foot surf rod.

I would get the line stuck on the bottom in the Arkansas river below lock 16 with current flowing while drifting.
I would use the #9 reel as a crank winch to reel the boat up stream against the current and try and unstick it.
After many years of doing that it broke the gears inside.
I got it when I was 12 and if not for using it as a winch i would probably still be using it.

I did get a 6500C3 and it in stock form would not cast as far as the #9 on the same rod.
You must use accurate thumb action on the 9.
I ended up removing the brakes in the 6500C3 and then it would outcast the 9 by a long ways.

I used a 5000 or could have been a 5500 it was years ago and it would cast rubber worms very well into farm ponds.
Line capacity for river fishing was not even close to enough on that little reel.
The Penn reels are excellent once you get used to them..and they are not expensive either.
Thanks.
Inherited these from FIL.
Are they 40's 50's 60's?
Would mono or braided be best?
What pole would you use with these?
Anyone know someone to look at them?

I really know nothing about these. It like a star drag whatever that is and another switch/lever at the top for something.

Last edited:

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of those Red ABU 5000 reels it was made in the late 60's or early 70's. I got it from a friend when I was about 11 or 12, I loved that reel, It was wonderful for me to learn to use my thumb as a brake. I used it for about 16 or 17 years. Someone stole it and a couple others out of the back of my truck when I stopped on my way home, from a day of fishing. They got my tackle box and 3 rods and reels, at the 7-11, when I stopped to get a drink. I still check the bed of my truck every time I get out of it because of that day. Never leave anything in the bed that is not tied down now. I think you can take them to BassPro and they will look at them and go through them and give them a tune-up as needed.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The #9 I do not know the date.
It is a level wind and does have the star drag where the handle is. Usually 15lb rated.
I have ran mono and braid on mine.. just get line thick enough to not get between the spool sides and the small crevice where the body meets up.

The lever on the right hand side is to release the spool for casting.. basically no button just a flip lever.

There is a bait clicker on the left side looks like a chrome nipple. move it one way and when line is released from the spool it makes a clicking sound.. great for bank fishing as an alarm.

The serrated knob on the left center of the reel puts a preload or pressure on a pin that pushes on the spool a tiny amount of movement can dial in the spool friction for less backlashes when casting.

It usually has a word on it OIL.
I oiled mine almost never but when I did it was 3-1 oil or sewing machine oil.

Depending on what you want to do with the 9 it would be at home on any rod.
I catfish and snag and 9-12 footer does very well and some 65LB braid or some trilene or stren 20lb or larger is what I usually used. Big game 30 I used a lot of it and then went braid.
I had some fish take all my line 150+ yards and snap it at the knot.
nearly 300 yards of 65lb braid I can wear them out. And if I break off I have a lot left for more fishing.

The ABU would work well on a 6 foot bass rod.

Stick them on a rod and cast and reel back in if they do well they will probably be fine.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
@Snattlerake...I was raised up fishing for bass in farm ponds using the Ambassadeur 5000 reels. I never used much of anything else. Great reels as far as I'm concerned and some of the older ones are worth some money.

I've got a nearly new one around here somewhere mounted on a 6' Browning rod. It's probably 30 years old but I haven't fished much since I bought it.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/gear/2002/06/red-reel/
a5dd98bab4663abc82427cee6e58e757.jpg

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks guys. That's some great information. On the No9 What is "spare pawl"? There is a screw on the side marked this way. I'm assuming a spare part? It is a short screw.

The ABU has a serial number of 087100

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom