Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a fishing buddy, one of the best fishing buddies one could ask for. He and I would go fishing in the winter, spring, summer and fall; often regardless the weather. We both enjoyed pond fishing. He only fished from the bank or small row boat. Often I would fish in a float tube, while he fished from the bank. We would sometimes go for an hour or two without speaking; just enjoying each other’s company.

This friend of mine and I once took a fly out trip to a Canadian island in the middle of a series of lakes. We spent the week fishing for Walleye and Pike and learned a great deal about each other. I learned he could snore like no other person I knew. I also learned he was a man of character and we would always be friends.

He had a nice place on Lake Texoma, with a slip for his bass boat and we would fish for Stripper, White Bass, and Hybrids; always enjoying each other’s company, even if the fishing wasn’t the most productive.

The sad thing is I lost my fishing buddy; we both put on a few years and his aches and pains gradually became a bigger and bigger deterrent to his desire to go fishing. Oh, we would talk about going fishing and somehow not get around to going, and then we stopped talking about going fishing and, only about how we used to and great times we had.

He’s still my best friend and has been for 35 years, we just don’t go fishing anymore. I miss my fishing buddy…………………..the best fishing buddy one could ask for.

P.S. He now lives in Arizona so we see each other rarely, but visit via phone often.

P.S.S. Enjoy your fishing friends as much as you can when you're young and gather great memories.

Last edited:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a fishing buddy, one of the best fishing buddies one could ask for. He and I would go fishing in the winter, spring, summer and fall; often regardless the weather. We both enjoyed pond fishing. He only fished from the bank or small row boat. Often I would fish in a float tube, while he fished from the bank. We would sometimes go for an hour or two without speaking; just enjoying each other’s company.

This friend of mine and I once took a fly out trip to a Canadian island in the middle of a series of lakes. We spent the week fishing for Walleye and Pike and learned a great deal about each other. I learned he could snore like no other person I knew. I also learned he was a man of character and we would always be friends.

He had a nice place on Lake Texoma, with a slip for his bass boat and we would fish for Stripper, White Bass, and Hybrids; always enjoying each other’s company, even if the fishing wasn’t the most productive.

The sad thing is I lost my fishing buddy; we both put on a few years and his aches and pains gradually became a bigger and bigger deterrent to his desire to go fishing. Oh, we would talk about going fishing and somehow not get around to going, and then we stopped talking about going fishing and, only about how we used to and great times we had.

He’s still my best friend and has been for 35 years, we just don’t go fishing anymore. I miss my fishing buddy…………………..the best fishing buddy one could ask for.

P.S. He now lives in Arizona so we see each other rarely, but visit via phone often.

P.S.S. Enjoy your fishing friends as much as you can when you're young and gather great memories.
You make an excellent point. I try to get my Dad out as often as I can. One day he won't be around to go. I save the stripper trips down at Texoma for friends my age. Dad and I focus on the striper fish.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Texoma has Strippers?? Location please!

Ok joke over.

Forgalspop, I feel your pain. Lost every one of mine as well. Some lost interest, some are gone locally.
When on the road in the RV, have several great fishing buddies but they are just part time.
I typically fish by myself as a consequence. Good time to get out and have some quiet time.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You make an excellent point. I try to get my Dad out as often as I can. One day he won't be around to go. I save the stripper trips down at Texoma for friends my age. Dad and I focus on the striper fish.

No one can accuse me of being an excellent speller. Never won a spelling bee contest in my life. Some days when the stipers weren't biting we should have tried the stripper angle! LOL

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had another fishin' buddy pass away this past year. He developed Parkinson's Disease and had a couple strokes. He was the opposite of my friend in Arizona; he was a talker and a riot to be with. If he caught a nice fish, he would hoot and holler and could be heard a mile away. Never a dull moment when he was around!

Ya know you're getting old when some of your friends start slipping away. Enjoy your friends and your family while you can. Life is short!

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy is apparently an Oklahoma crappie catchin' legend, and he says water temp has nothing to do with crappie spawn, and he recommends bigger jigs, 1/4 ounce or even bigger.
Something to consider anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom