Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Caught this delicious thing this evening. East of where I live, Bear Creek.
20210509_210106.jpg
20210509_175603.jpg

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't take long from water to the grease. Nice hybrid Mr.T.
The crappie just the right size for live bait!

Well don't say it to loud because I think it is illegal to use a sport fish for bait. One of those laws that are not clear as to what constitutes a sport fish. Not knocking you as I have done it too. I caught the biggest walleye of my life using one off a bridge. I thought it was a fluke but caught another one the same size the next year in the same spot. Never could repeat it though but caught a flathead or two.

It was somewhere around that time I realized the life expectancy of a baby crappie must be somewhere between slim and none.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well don't say it to loud because I think it is illegal to use a sport fish for bait. One of those laws that are not clear as to what constitutes a sport fish. Not knocking you as I have done it too. I caught the biggest walleye of my life using one off a bridge. I thought it was a fluke but caught another one the same size the next year in the same spot. Never could repeat it though but caught a flathead or two.

It was somewhere around that time I realized the life expectancy of a baby crappie must be somewhere between slim and none.
If I use live bait it is shad. However, I believe legally caught game fish that are correct size for keeping can be used for bait as long as you do not keep more than your daily limit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Once a crappie is brought into possession by legal means, it is yours to do what you want with it.
Catch and release into Crisco Bay or use for cut bait.
Crappie caught in a throw net are not legal.
It's fortunate that the young are food for bigger specie. They sure are prolific breeders.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once a crappie is brought into possession by legal means, it is yours to do what you want with it.
Catch and release into Crisco Bay or use for cut bait.
Crappie caught in a throw net are not legal.
It's fortunate that the young are food for bigger specie. They sure are prolific breeders.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Dennis. The place where I was fishing with them was a rural bridge that crosses a deep water creek on one of our local lakes. Old men sit on that bridge in lawn chairs crappie fishing year round. When I went there and caught a small one, I would just turn him around and set out a big pole deep while I was crappie fishing. All those old men told me what I was doing was illegal and I could not use them for bait. I didn't pay them any attention. Maybe they were mad that I was fishing with what they were trying to catch or just jealous of what I was catching. Who know's, Grumpy Old Men.

Latest posts

Top Bottom