Fitness accountability thread?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 - 2 mile interval runs with 4 min rest in between, averaged just a tick over 7:30 average per mile overall. I added up all the interval times and realized I cut 1:16 off the run time from this same session back on May 12. I bought a Garmin watch and it's really helped me with pace and heart rate monitoring.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Nice!

What watch did you get? How are you tracking your heart rate zones? Based on max heart rate? Heart rate reserve?

Monday's interval run.
Tuesday: 4 miles easy
Wednesday: 1 easy warm-up mile followed by 3 at tempo pace (about 7:00/ mile pace)
Thursday: 4 easy miles
Friday: 4 easy miles
Saturday: 11 mile long run, 4 laps around Mitch Park
Sunday: will definitely be a complete rest day

This heat and humidity is already causing major slowdowns in my pacing compared to the fall/winter seasons.

I forget which days but I have 4x days with 3 sets of: 15 goblet squats, 30 sec planks on foam roller, 30 second planks on both left and right side.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice!

What watch did you get? How are you tracking your heart rate zones? Based on max heart rate? Heart rate reserve?

Vivoactive HR, I wanted the new FR235 because it has more run features (intervals, race predictor, VO, etc.) but damn there seem to be a tons of problems with it, particularly with the HR monitor and that's what I'm mostly concerned with.

Right now I'm using the default zone settings based on max HR using the old formula 225-age which puts me at 181 but I need to do some testing to verify that is accurate. Today for example, it showed I spent 64% of the 73 minutes in zone 5 (highest) and 22% in zone 4. Its pretty cool though all in all.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vivoactive HR, I wanted the new FR235 because it has more run features (intervals, race predictor, VO, etc.) but damn there seem to be a tons of problems with it, particularly with the HR monitor and that's what I'm mostly concerned with.

Right now I'm using the default zone settings based on max HR using the old formula 225-age which puts me at 181 but I need to do some testing to verify that is accurate. Today for example, it showed I spent 64% of the 73 minutes in zone 5 (highest) and 22% in zone 4. Its pretty cool though all in all.

I definitely recommend doing a test to determine your actual max heart rate (all the formulas are pretty inaccurate in most cases), and if you really want to dial in the zones I'd also suggest figuring out your resting heart rate and setting up your zones based on heart rate reserve.

If you have any questions about heart rate training feel free to PM me, I have a fair bit of experience in training by heart rate.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1 easy mile + 1 mile at tempo pace to warm up, followed by 3x 1/4 mile intervals at as fast as I could manage. Just over 4 miles overall.

I wasn't able to finish any of the intervals at anywhere the near the pace I started them at. Particularly how I started the first, which was (for maybe .15-.2 mi) far faster than I've ever run before. I literally reached a point where i just couldn't get enough air and my legs basically stopped.

Things I learned from today:

My anaerobic endurance sucks.

I need to learn to pace myself during intervals.

I need a track to run on (hills during intervals aren't the greatest).

Last edited:

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today was the last of this 6 week program I've been on. Its been tough but the results have been good.

Tonight's session was 6 miles for time and I finally achieved my goal of a sub 8 min average! Finished in 47:27 (7:54 average) which is 1:25 faster than 3 weeks ago but I really pushed it hard tonight knowing this was the last workout for a week. Average HR was 162, max was 182.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4 miles easy Tuesday.
1 mile warm-up + 3 miles at tempo pace Wednesday.
4 miles easy Thursday.
13.77 miles this morning.

I have completely fallen down on my core exercises this week, only doing my circuit once so far.

I can tell that the core exercises are working, as my glutes aren't as sore at the end of my hilly long runs, and I'm able to generate more power in my finishing sprint.

Latest posts

Top Bottom