Flag disposal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
The wind after the rain the other day tore up my flag pretty good. The new one is flying but I need to properly dispose of my old one. I’ve heard fire stations will take them but the last time I knocked on the nearest fire station, 4 bewildered faces met me at the door with a WTH are you doing here look. I guess they don’t get many visitors! I’m in Edmond and was wondering if there are any drop boxes by the Boy Scouts or VFW around. Google wasn’t much help.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just do it yourself.

A few years ago, my flag was worn and tattered as well, and I was talking to a patriot I knew. He said as long as you have a "semi-ceremony" with witnesses (his exact words) and have the flag folded properly and consumed by fire, you're golden.

We invited a few friends and family, cooked some burgers and dogs on the grill, had homemade ice cream and about dusk, built a fire. We all gathrred around, each one of us took turns talking about what the flag and feedom meant to us. Then, we folded the flag properly, talked about what each of the 13 folds stood for, had a word of prayer, said the pledge of allegiance and sang America The Beautiful as Old Glory was consumed by the flames.

It was a very wonderful, beautiful and somber event. Lots of tissues accompanied the flag in the fire.

:patriot:

https://www.military.com/flag-day/meaning-behind-13-flag-folds.html

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I attended an American Legion flag disposal ceremony a while back, as I had an old one to dispose of myself. It was in a small town in NE Oklahoma. I have to say it was impressive and humbled with the ceremony and participants. It gave me even more respect of why I fly my flag.

Spyforhire

Marksman
Reaction score
Not that you are ever around Mustang, but I'm with the local police department and we take flags to the Boy Scouts and American Legion. They have a drop box for citizens outside of the Masonic Lodge on Highway 152.

Screen Shot 07-10-22 at 04.46 PM.PNG

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our local Scout Troop (Choctaw area, Troop 275) does an impressive retirement ceremony on Veterans Day. If you have not yet taken care of it (or if anyone else reading has the need), reach out to me and we can see that it gets done right.
BTW, even if you don’t have a flag to retire, it’s quite a sight to see, all are welcome to attend. Usually held at Choctaw Creek Park, I cannot confirm it now, though.
Perhaps you know someone who could use some inspiration…….
4EC65B20-F854-4776-B73A-DE81F321468D.jpegDFBE4138-3E8D-4C6C-83CF-637EFF5083D2.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom