Flag Etiquette

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven’t been able to find an answer so I figured there’s enough smarts in here to help me out......

I believe for Memorial Day that flags fly at half staff for until mid-day and then full the rest - please correct me if that’s wrong.

However, what if you have a run of the mill - attached to your front porch/garage kind of flag displayed?

49a795fd99c55df80d0875015c2aeefc.jpg

Does it matter? Do you take it down for the first part of the day?

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Oobedoob Benubi

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW ---

https://flagpolesetc.com/blog/house-mounted-flagpoles-half-staff-and-more

"The United States Flag Code does not address the issue of flying house mounted flags at half staff. Many people attach a black streamer just below the top of the pole that is about one and a half times the height of the flag. It should be attached so that it falls naturally. Other people simply attach black bows or knots that may or may not have streamers at the points that the flag is fastened to the flagpole."

https://www.marthastewart.com/1528929/memorial-day-flag-protocol-and-etiquette

"When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from your home—a window, balcony, or other outcropping—the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half staff. You can affix a memorial streamer of black crepe to the staff immediately below the spearhead of the flag. It should be no wider than 1 foot in order to match the proportionality of the standard size flag. This is an acceptable alternative for flags that cannot be lowered to half-staff."

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some of the ones like you have, have an option to fly it straight out, which might be what is considered half mast but I'm not 100% on that . Just a thought . I have a full pole at the house now but had one like that in the past and just left it up.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for caring enough to have proper etiquette. Improper flag etiquette is easily my number one pet peeve. I will call banks, malls, etc and ask why they are at half staff when not proper to do so. I have also been known to stop and get out of my vehicle to raise and fix tie offs not done correctly.

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW ---

House Mounted Flagpoles - Half Staff and More

"The United States Flag Code does not address the issue of flying house mounted flags at half staff. Many people attach a black streamer just below the top of the pole that is about one and a half times the height of the flag. It should be attached so that it falls naturally. Other people simply attach black bows or knots that may or may not have streamers at the points that the flag is fastened to the flagpole."

Do You Know How to Display the U.S. Flag on Memorial Day?

"When the flag is displayed from a staff projecting from your home—a window, balcony, or other outcropping—the union should be at the peak of the staff unless the flag is at half staff. You can affix a memorial streamer of black crepe to the staff immediately below the spearhead of the flag. It should be no wider than 1 foot in order to match the proportionality of the standard size flag. This is an acceptable alternative for flags that cannot be lowered to half-staff."
So, if it is protruding from your home.. If you can adjust where the union sits, should it be at half of that? There would only be about 10" on either side of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom