Flash holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I watched a couple videos, in them the guys were using the Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer. I’m not a fan of removing brass from a case, unless it’s necessary to. That said, as a relatively new reloader, is this something I need to be doing? A better question might be, does this make a difference in the quality of the reloading process?
I felt I should ask, since the guys were talking about better ignition, cleaner burn, etc.. Also I don’t want to run out and buy something, just because it’s there to buy, especially on a fixed income.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched a couple videos, in them the guys were using the Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer. I’m not a fan of removing brass from a case, unless it’s necessary to. That said, as a relatively new reloader, is this something I need to be doing? A better question might be, does this make a difference in the quality of the reloading process?
I felt I should ask, since the guys were talking about better ignition, cleaner burn, etc.. Also I don’t want to run out and buy something, just because it’s there to buy, especially on a fixed income.
I personally haven't noticed much difference in my loads but I still do it. Amazing how many brass bits will come out. I set the tool by hand and then chuck it in a lathe so I can process cases super quick. If I was doing it by hand I'd probably skip it truth be told.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think cleaning or truing the flash hole has any impact on handgun ammo at all. On very precision long range rifle ammo it might.

I am sure someone will swear it makes a difference and for them and it might. either way it would take very highly specialized equipment to determine if changing the flash hole size or shape improves anything or is it a phycological influence.

I think there are many other factors in the reloading process, selection of components and a firearm, and everything else up to and including pulling the trigger to overcome before worrying about something as small as the shape of a flash hole.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I deburred flash holes, both sides, on my 5.56MM match reloads back in the 1990’s. Hoping for some noticeable accuracy, repeatability of point of impacts. Experienced no POI improvement during Highpower Rifle Matches, firing with Loop sling standing, sitting and prone position. Ten years of trying different reloading powders, bullet weights and switching from a Colt 1/8” twist rifling to a Bushmaster 1/7” twist barrel, then on to a Rock River Arms 1/7” did the trick. Expert scores fired regularly as soon as I switched to the Bushmaster rifle with the fast twist rifling. Best reload was a Sierra Match King 77 grain HP.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been reloading for rifles for about 20 years, and I may have cleaned a flash hole a few times when I first started because I read about it or someone told me it was what you’re supposed to do.
I don’t now and have rifles/loads that are “one holers“ at 100 yards if I do my part. However, if you’re a “long range” shooter, it might make a huge difference. :anyone:
BTW I’m pretty sure if I dig around in my reloading stuff I can find flash hole cleaner tools if you want to try it for yourself.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a Lyman deburring tool only once on brand new cases. It takes a gentle touch to feel an occasional burr on a batch of cases. If this helps accuracy or not I do not know. I do know it does not hurt and just a habit I got into during case prep. All I am trying to do is make the very best ammo I am capable of so its just short step I do on new ones. After once fired I see no point.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're out for extreme accuracy or shoot extreme distances, it might make a difference. I'm approaching fifty years of reloading, and I have never uniformed a flash hole. I sometimes deburr the opening for the primer, depending on the case, but I've never touched a flash hole. YMMV

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s one of those things that I don’t know if it makes a huge difference or not. I will say that I dang sure ain’t wasting time on doing it on bulk ammo. I do it on a couple calibers/batches just cuz. It is amazing how big of a jagged chip will come from some cases. The chip is caused when the flash hole is punched. Can I make a difference in lighting the powder? Idk. I’ve pondered it. So are we trying to light the powder uniformly? Well are we using a powder charge that uses all the available space possible? If we aren’t then our powder isn’t lighting from back to front anyhow, is it? Does that even matter? I dunno. Sooo yes I do deburr some flash holes but mainly cuz I can and in makes me feel good. I prefer the Redding deburrer because it stops cutting as soon as chip is cut off. Some others will keep eating and so you must learn to “feel” when it’s right. Well in the name of consistency is your “feel” consistent enough? I like something that has no feelings to be the guide to base my consistency on.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is so many gizmos out there that people says you have to have to make good ammo and they are just that a gizmo to sell to make money but some do help and some dont do squat to help, just think back 100 years how in the world did people reload without all these gizmos and be able to hit the side of the barn standing inside it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom