Flash holes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is so many gizmos out there that people says you have to have to make good ammo and they are just that a gizmo to sell to make money but some do help and some dont do squat to help, just think back 100 years how in the world did people reload without all these gizmos and be able to hit the side of the barn standing inside it.
This was my exact thought. “Look at this shiny new tool, you need this to look official!”. Lol

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do it on the 6.5 Creedmoor for long range. See it as a comparison of the primer flash to what a bad crown does to a bullets path, does it help? not sure, but it sure doesn't hurt.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another vote here for it not hurting anything, plus it is not a step that you have to do more than once either. I also do it with a hand reamer...only takes ~15 - 20 seconds a piece and half of that is finding the hole (insert jokes here). Also might mention that I only do it for rifle brass.

I've found that good brass almost never needs it. I've had batches of Lapua and Starline brass that may get some material on every 20th piece. Federal is about 50/50, and it goes downhill from there. My last batch of virgin 6.8 SPC Hornady brass was so rough that I needed vice grips to hold the brass about every 10th piece.

Literally 10 minutes spent on 50 pieces of brass. I could see more controversy if it took an hour or something, but for the little time spent/wasted I see it as a worthwhile investment of minimal effort.

YMMV

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do it on the 6.5 Creedmoor for long range. See it as a comparison of the primer flash to what a bad crown does to a bullets path, does it help? not sure, but it sure doesn't hurt.
I disagree with the comparison, because I’ve seen a bad crown kill accuracy. After the gun was recrowned, it shot great.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree with the comparison, because I’ve seen a bad crown kill accuracy. After the gun was recrowned, it shot great.

I agree here. A tiny bit of inconsistency with ignition is not going to nearly effect a bullet as much as an inconsistency with the direction of gasses pushing it as it leaves the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom