Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AguaFriaRanger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you train to use a WML you can do it effectively. If you train to hold a light in one hand and a pistol in other you can do it effectively. If you don't train you'll be lousy at both. There is a reason that "Roland Special"-style pistols are being seen more and more in duty roles. Lights and dots enhance the capabilities of the user. This isn't to say you can't be proficient without them, but you can definitely be proficient with them.

Grendelshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over on the Firearms Chat forum there is thread titled, “What is your current bedside "go time" pick?”.

I’m seeing lots of guns pictured with or described as having flashlights attached. Rather than jack the thread I thought I would come to the Self Defense & Handgun Carry forum with a question.

Admittedly, the last time I gave much thought to this issue was in the 1990’s. At that time, I was convinced that flashlights on guns were ill advised. It was reported that folks in high stress situations couldn’t seem to resist using the flashlight as a flashlight and therefore muzzle covering all kinds of things and possibly people they did not intend to shoot.

What is the current thinking regarding flashlights on guns, especially vis-à-vis Cooper’s second rule of gun safety?
I don’t know or care what Cooper said.
I have cleared houses at night (as we are prone to conducting raids at night), and the idea of NOT having a light on a gun you intend to use at all hours is monumentally stupid.
Gun
Sling
Optic
Light
This is the absolute bare minimum. All else is just icing on the cake but a gun without a light is…it’s retarded.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have cleared houses at night (as we are prone to conducting raids at night), and the idea of NOT having a light on a gun you intend to use at all hours is monumentally stupid.
As is making such a blanket statement. Folks often have different opinions on just about everything.

As my Dad used to say, "You can't make everyone's smoke go up your chimney."
:drunk2:
___

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, we didn't want anyone with a light. First it is a beacon for "Op For"if other folks are around that might be up and looking. Second light spill can bloom your overwatch guys, and finally reflective surfaces inside can really play havoc with NV auto gating and auto dimming. Only one guy with a very low power, very high wave length IR light for each "search team. A light on a firearm is just plain stupid.....just depends on your idea of a "raid". A hand held white light is nice once you have an "item" to identify if film and picture is needed, but only after light discipline is observed.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know or care what Cooper said.
Gun
Sling
Optic
Light
This is the absolute bare minimum. All else is just icing on the cake but a gun without a light is…it’s retarded.
No, it's not "monumentally stupid". Making such broad generalizations is, though.

There are very real and subjective advantages to having a weapon mounted light for some people and there are very real and subjective reasons why others don't need one or want one. What's really "retarded" is thinking a defensive gun is a "one setup fits all" discussion. It's not.

Latest posts

Top Bottom