Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Do what is comfortable for you and practice.... I generally try to stay out of these kind of discussions, it is filled with people who think if you have an opinion that does not align with theirs they get to resort to name calling and ridicule. Lord forbid they try to explain their reasoning instead of resorting to childish behavior.

Matt Giroux

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do what is comfortable for you and practice.... I generally try to stay out of these kind of discussions, it is filled with people who think if you have an opinion that does not align with theirs they get to resort to name calling and ridicule. Lord forbid they try to explain their reasoning instead of resorting to childish behavior.
Agreed

BillPenn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lot's of opinions on here. Most are based on their own personal situations. Only you can assess your situation and make the call if you may need one. I live in town, my house and yard are well lit. Don't really need one for home. However, the wife and I travel in our RV as often as we can. We sometimes find ourselves in sketchy and/or dimly lit places. I keep one on mine just for these situations. Need to be able to get a positive identification on things that go bump in the night.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed; this is true. I also think there are a lot of experts who aren't so much.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
The mission drives the gear.

If you're high speed low drag type looking for bad guys in the dark then of course you want a light. If you're the typical ccw guy whose main threat is the bad guy in the quikie mart parking lot a light is pretty low on the mission driven gear list.
tc1.jpg

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a WML on a long gun is mandatory. I mean, you can't fire a rifle or shotgun properly with one hand on the weapon and the other gripping a hand held light. My Mossberg 500 has a Streamlight TLR-RM1 installed and I love it.

With that being said, I'm still on the fence about a WML on a pistol. I do have a Streamlight TLR-7A on my M&P45 beside my front door, but it's only duty is door greeter and outdoor searching. But as for what I carry at work, my simple mind worries about my fingers or thumbs taking on extras roles like manipulating activation buttons/switches of a WML.

I was taught the Harries Technique of handgun/flashlight usage...

22.jpg

...and it works for me. I'm sure with proper training, I could be just as proficient with a WML but the Harries is so 2nd nature to me, I figure why train for something different?

The growing trend in LE today is WMLs on duty pistols, which is fine, I get it. It's just not for me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think a WML on a long gun is mandatory. I mean, you can't fire a rifle or shotgun properly with one hand on the weapon and the other gripping a hand held light. My Mossberg 500 has a Streamlight TLR-RM1 installed and I love it.

With that being said, I'm still on the fence about a WML on a pistol. I do have a Streamlight TLR-7A on my M&P45 beside my front door, but it's only duty is door greeter and outdoor searching. But as for what I carry at work, my simple mind worries about my fingers or thumbs taking on extras roles like manipulating activation buttons/switches of a WML.

I was taught the Harries Technique of handgun/flashlight usage...

View attachment 233683

...and it works for me. I'm sure with proper training, I could be just as proficient with a WML but the Harries is so 2nd nature to me, I figure why train for something different?

The growing trend in LE today is WMLs on duty pistols, which is fine, I get it. It's just not for me.
I spent a lot of time training with the syringe method and find it works well. I even developed a way to use the syringe method with a revolver, even during the reload. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom