Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me neither plus it lets the perp/perps know where you are at. Lets say you have drawn down on on a perp and his bud is twenty feet or so to your left/right. You don't see him as you are focused on the guy in your light then bad guy shoots at the light. Case Closed!

And that’s why getting off the “X” wether with a light or not is important. Disrupt the OODA loop and do things the bad guy isn’t expecting.
Gets real interesting when one brings out the nunchucks. 😁

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me neither plus it lets the perp/perps know where you are at. Lets say you have drawn down on on a perp and his bud is twenty feet or so to your left/right. You don't see him as you are focused on the guy in your light then bad guy shoots at the light. Case Closed!
Everyone seems to think that if they use a weapon mounted light on a long gun, that they are suppose to just stand there with it on while waiting for a target to appear. I 'flash' my WML quickly, just long enough to ascertain my target, then out it goes while I move to another spot. I do not use my light to see my target as much as to blind it for the brief moment that I need to engage. As far as revealing your position, your first shot fired will expose yourself (muzzle flash) anyway, so might as well use that WML to your advantage to blind your adversary while ensuring that there are no 'friendlies' in the line of fire.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gunfights with other humans aside… combat situations aside.. I love weapon mounted lights for my farm night disturbance investigation guns.

Much easier to put hits on well identified varmint targets. I did the hand hold a flashlight method for years with long guns and handguns. Finally got some weapon mounted lights and will never go back

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have WML on my diller killer .22 AR.
We have night lights positioned inside so the cams can pickup any one.
I'm not going to give it all away, but nobody can come into our home without being on video or being highlighted by strategically placed night lights and video cams, available on our phones world wide. I'm pretty anal about home security. We have had two neighbors hit with thieves in the last week out here in the sticks.
Not going to name names, but a guy I know had his Ring Cam go off awhile back with somebody trying to break into his pickup. They broke the passenger window right at the time he came out the door with a pistol.
They hauled butt. More to the story but I'll leave it at that.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have WML on my diller killer .22 AR.
We have night lights positioned inside so the cams can pickup any one.
I'm not going to give it all away, but nobody can come into our home without being on video or being highlighted by strategically placed night lights and video cams, available on our phones world wide. I'm pretty anal about home security. We have had two neighbors hit with thieves in the last week out here in the sticks.
Not going to name names, but a guy I know had his Ring Cam go off awhile back with somebody trying to break into his pickup. They broke the passenger window right at the time he came out the door with a pistol.
They hauled butt. More to the story but I'll leave it at that.
Sorry to hear about your neighbors getting robbed. Good thing you’re well prepared. If our economy and moral structure keep degrading in this country, we will see more and more crime. Terrible.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gunfights with other humans aside… combat situations aside.. I love weapon mounted lights for my farm night disturbance investigation guns.

Much easier to put hits on well identified varmint targets. I did the hand hold a flashlight method for years with long guns and handguns. Finally got some weapon mounted lights and will never go back

I like your point. Somehow people forget that 100% of able-bodied people can shoot more accurately (and faster) with two hands on the pistol, than any techniques involving having one hand holding something else.

I've found that a headlamp works great on shooting armadillos at night. The bright backdrop contrasted with my dark sights works much better than many might think. However, the majority of my pest removal is now done with thermal.

Ar15

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly you need to have a secondary or primary flashlight light is my opinion for tracking down noises, etc because a gun light for doing both is not the best choice even if trained.
The Best option is both.

A few times where a gun and weapon mounted light can be utilized and would be impossible with gun in one hand and flashlight in another. Depends on your training, but I have trained and simultaneously used my gun and mounted light and was safely able to do the following.

1. Opening a door using a door knob or handle
2. dialing and using a cell phone or other device
3. carrying a child or assisting an injured person.
4. Use of both light and gun when one hand/arm is injured.

Now when a threat is not found, I have been able to reholster ( you have a holster right? ) and do the following with just a flashlight safely
1. Take trashcan to the curb or put on lid that blew off
2. check mail while outside
3. Get my phone out of my car
4. Pet the dog

😄😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom