Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see 2 discussions going on in here. Both are a little strange.

One argument seems to imply that you can't have BOTH a WML and a handheld light.
YOU SHOULD HAVE BOTH.

The second seems to imply that either: 1. You can't safely search or identify targets with a gun mounted light without flagging them with the muzzle, OR 2. You can't shoot with a proper grip while using a handheld light.

BOTH ARE UNTRUE.

My EDC Modlite handheld has a Thyrm Switchback. I can shoot 2 handed with this setup if my weapon doesn't have a light.
The Glock 17 I carry has a Surefire x300u, which is bright enough and has enough spill to light up a whole room while pointed up, and which can illuminate an entire person for PID while the muzzle points safely at the ground between us.

I refuse to approach self defense and shooting from a position that infantilizes people.
"Well, if you have a light on your gun, you'll end up using it to search for your keys or something!"
No, I won't, and you're smart enough to not do it either.
"Well, if you carry a handheld light, you'll shoot worse without your other hand!"
No, I practice shooting one handed in case I need the other to secure a kid, dog, or wounded person. You should too. The WML is actually FOR one handed weapon use for when I need to release the handheld to open a door or carry something.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I see 2 discussions going on in here. Both are a little strange.

One argument seems to imply that you can't have BOTH a WML and a handheld light.
YOU SHOULD HAVE BOTH.

The second seems to imply that either: 1. You can't safely search or identify targets with a gun mounted light without flagging them with the muzzle, OR 2. You can't shoot with a proper grip while using a handheld light.

BOTH ARE UNTRUE.

My EDC Modlite handheld has a Thyrm Switchback. I can shoot 2 handed with this setup if my weapon doesn't have a light.
The Glock 17 I carry has a Surefire x300u, which is bright enough and has enough spill to light up a whole room while pointed up, and which can illuminate an entire person for PID while the muzzle points safely at the ground between us.

I refuse to approach self defense and shooting from a position that infantilizes people.
"Well, if you have a light on your gun, you'll end up using it to search for your keys or something!"
No, I won't, and you're smart enough to not do it either.
"Well, if you carry a handheld light, you'll shoot worse without your other hand!"
No, I practice shooting one handed in case I need the other to secure a kid, dog, or wounded person. You should too. The WML is actually FOR one handed weapon use for when I need to release the handheld to open a door or carry something.
I agree. My WML can be turned on momentarily or if needed sustained for whatever reason.
If I need to look for my keys or other object, the flashlight in the cell phone we all carry is for that purpose.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A WML is a must on any self defense handgun. I encourage it for all of the benefits enumerated in the reply’s, but also for your legal defense.

You may not get arrested or charged after using your weapon in self defense, but there is a good chance you get civilly sued for wrongful death. The lawsuit will turn to your available options for self defense. If you have zero options other than lethal force and can’t even state that you positively identified the target and had a reasonable belief he was an imminent threat, your going to have a hard time in the lawsuit.

I don’t understand a lot of the gun safety concerns that have been brought up. If a trash can is the source of the sound and I light it up with my WML, I haven’t violated any rules.

If my brother is the source of the noise, and I light him up with my light, I pointed my weapon at something I intended to destroy, decided against it and lowered it. How this violates some rule, I don’t know. If your incapable of processing information, you should just call the Police and hide.

I’ve used my WML for searching tons of structures, cars, boats, etc. if you can’t keep your finger off the trigger, train or buy a gun with a safety. Keep your finger off the trigger until your ready to use it is the most important and really the not rule you shouldn’t trespass. The others are for static ranges. If we followed all rules in gunfights, there wouldn’t be gunfights.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A4AB1ED9-8BC0-4237-BA06-2264CBD54430.png

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing as how the average house weigh between 40 to 80 Tons..... I guess it is easy to have searched "tons" of them😁

And most all of these tons of houses are complete with a light switch which can turn on lights, which in a way makes "mounted light" weapons! 😅

Maybe a clapper would be an effective lighting technique, after all Christmas is on the way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom