Flashlights on guns in general and in home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not for me. I just don't like them and I don't have a use for a weapon-mounted light. I do have a small flashlight handy. I keep various night lights around my house to provide plenty of ambient light during the night. Also has to do with not liking rails on guns, I guess. Just my preference.
I thought rails were what scum was ridden out of town on…….Don’t like and DON’T GOT no rails on MY GUNS. Got two work guns that have them, but they were issued.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Potential legalities is why I chose NOT to install a laser on my HDW. In having to shoot an intruder to my home, I envisioned a prosecuting attorney presenting the 'fact' to a jury that my installation of a laser was to ensure that I would not miss my human target, thus setting up (premeditated) the guarantee of a perfect kill shot. I know that this is BS, but the lawyers' role is to turn BS into 'fact'.

Can you name an example of a case where something like this was brought up and actually harmed the defendant?

I think this is one of those wives tales where something was brought up in court and people just assume that it hurt their case.

I've heard Mas Ayoob talk about aftermarket triggers and prosecutors claiming that their use established some kind of premeditation or malice, but it's as simple as saying "yes, I put a better trigger so that I would not miss and hit innocent bystanders in a self defense situation."

"Yes, I put a light and laser on my gun so that I could clearly tell he was a threat and so that I wouldn't miss and harm my neighbors."

conditionzero

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you name an example of a case where something like this was brought up and actually harmed the defendant?

I think this is one of those wives tales where something was brought up in court and people just assume that it hurt their case.

I've heard Mas Ayoob talk about aftermarket triggers and prosecutors claiming that their use established some kind of premeditation or malice, but it's as simple as saying "yes, I put a better trigger so that I would not miss and hit innocent bystanders in a self defense situation."

"Yes, I put a light and laser on my gun so that I could clearly tell he was a threat and so that I wouldn't miss and harm my neighbors."
I am with you on this one. Lights, sights, and triggers. The only pistols I have factory triggers in are my Canik's, because they are great already.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought rails were what scum was ridden out of town on…….Don’t like and DON’T GOT no rails on MY GUNS. Got two work guns that have them, but they were issued.
Now there is a straight answer right along my way of thinking. Only firearms I have with rails are my AR's and my Russian VEPR in 6.5.

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My home defense plan is to simply say: “Alexa, INTRUDER!”
All lights in the house shut off.
Confetti cannons fire in the living room.
Strobe lights flicker throughout the house to the tune of “Master of Puppets” which is now playing at 110db.

Thankfully I’m a highly trained operator, so I grab my 4-D cell mag light and Colt Single Action Army and clear the house with the light held 3 feet to my left like the FBI told me to.
See! We don't need any rail mounted lights!

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

" Potential legalities is why I chose NOT to install a laser on my HDW. In having to shoot an intruder to my home, I envisioned a prosecuting attorney presenting the 'fact' to a jury that my installation of a laser was to ensure that I would not miss my human target, thus setting up (premeditated) the guarantee of a perfect kill shot. I know that this is BS, but the lawyers' role is to turn BS into 'fact'. "

I wasn't pointing to any actual occurrence of this happening, that is why I put " I envisioned . . . " in by comment. Being that our justice system has, in many ways, gotten really weird lately (lately? 🙄), I wouldn't discount the possibility of 'setting precedent' with some prosecution type blood-sucker demonizing lasers or even weapon lights. God knows, the anti2A crowd have demonized everything else!

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See! We don't need any rail mounted lights!
Now that’s old school. That’s the way it was back about 50 years ago. Funny, but true. Brings back fond memories. The old mag lights and kel-lights. They used to call me the “Kel-light Kid”.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to shoot a lot of IDPA matches. One match I showed up, and they were setting up for a 'dark' stage, and told us we could only use what we had in our range bag, or in our vehicle. Luckily, I had an old (very old) maglite penlight in my glove box. Batteries were a little weak, but it was better than nothing.

After seeing the (huge) advantage those that had WMLs on their pistols had in accuracy and time, I went out the next day and purchased one for my pistol. Won't be without it.
100% how I feel. I’ve had around 3000 hours of formal firearms related training, and somewhere around a little less than half of that has been force on force. After you learn how to actually employ a WML, you lean what a benefit it is. With that said, PVS-15’s and DBAL’s are the hotness. 🥷

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now that’s old school. That’s the way it was back about 50 years ago. Funny, but true. Brings back fond memories. The old mag lights and kel-lights. They used to call me the “Kel-light Kid”.
I’m acquainted with a fellow that killed a man with a Kel-light. Those things are like lead pipes

Latest posts

Top Bottom