Flinally blew the head gasket in my truck. <sigh>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So now I'm in the hunt for a good rebuilt or low(er/ish) mileage Gm 5.3 L59 (VIN Z) or possibly LM7 (VIN T).

I guess. If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate a heads' up. I'm in Bartlesville, so somewhere in this neck of the woods would be ideal. I know jack next-to-nuthin' about shopping for a motor, but I know I ain't gonna put a $3k-$5k+ crate engine in a grocery getter.

Hoping to have some friends help me swap it out in a weekend or something for some gun swaps, or beer or BBQ.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So now I'm in the hunt for a good rebuilt or low(er/ish) mileage Gm 5.3 L59 (VIN Z) or possibly LM7 (VIN T).

I guess. If anyone knows of one, I would appreciate a heads' up. I'm in Bartlesville, so somewhere in this neck of the woods would be ideal. I know jack next-to-nuthin' about shopping for a motor, but I know I ain't gonna put a $3k-$5k+ crate engine in a grocery getter.

Hoping to have some friends help me swap it out in a weekend or something for some gun swaps, or beer or BBQ.
Sorry bout the truck. That sucks. I am sure someone here will come through with some options. If not I have a nice Prius I will sell you :) (just trying to make you smile)

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It overheated badly, that's how it blew. Already knew I needed a new top half, the heads on this motor apparently have an 'issue' and it's been leaking small amts of coolant for quite some time. I've been just keeping it filled up for several years in preparation for a rebuild or replacement.

Unfortunately, I put in a new thermostat which was apparently a mistake using a cheap O'Reilly thermostat. 3 days later, first time out driving more than a couple miles - boom.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might check with a local machine shop and see what it would cost to rebuild your current motor, might be cheaper than buying a new engine and they might be able to bullet proof it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think I can limp my truck back to my house? Don't really want to leave it in the mechanic's yard on the west side for weeks - I have a ton of electrical work and stereo equipment in it.

It was running, the guy at the shop in Independence tested it and found exhaust blowing back into the cylinder, but it would run. I live 4.3 miles of light city traffic from the mechanic's shop, is it gonna make anything worse to limp it back to park it at my house? Or am I gonna have to tow it?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You think I can limp my truck back to my house? Don't really want to leave it in the mechanic's yard on the west side for weeks - I have a ton of electrical work and stereo equipment in it.

It was running, the guy at the shop in Independence tested it and found exhaust blowing back into the cylinder, but it would run. I live 4.3 miles of light city traffic from the mechanic's shop, is it gonna make anything worse to limp it back to park it at my house? Or am I gonna have to tow it?

I'd drive it, if it doesn't make it call a buddy with a badass truck and tow it the rest of the way. Sounds like you're gonna need a new motor anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom