Flooding in Tulsa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kaw that feeds Keystone open their gates to 5.5 feet today. Highest since 89. People downstream are in trouble.
What does that put their release rate at? I know they've been taking in more than they are releasing for several days. This morning their inflow was down a bit so it may equalize at least.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not for long

D7U0744UwAEvojS.jpg

D7WCSz_VsAEWsFP.jpg:large

p168i.gif

NWS TULSA
PREV DISCUSSION... /Issued 408 AM CDT Fri May 24 2019/

Its troubling to see heavy rain will be favored across portions
of south central Kansas given the widespread serious river
flooding which is ongoing in northeast Oklahoma. However, largely
unidirectional profiles in the mid levels will result in
back-building thunderstorms in a zone from near Kansas City to
Wichita through tonight.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not for long

Yep, not for long. I believe they said this is more water than we saw in '86 and '86, and more expected. The only real things that are better this time are the levees not failing like we saw in both of those floods.

I just flew in from Houston. Seeing the Arkansas from the plane with so much of Bixby underwater was mind numbing.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They went into the '86 event with much lower river levels downstream due to the event (hurricane paine remnants) being more localized to NC Oklahoma. That's why the Arkansas @ Muskogee is exceeding the '86 level by 5ft right now even with much lower Keystone releases. All the lakes being so high, all the rivers cresting at records, all this rain in multiple locations and drainages over such a long period...this is so much more complex than '86. It's unprecedented.

I do not see this going well. The ACOE press conference today at 10:00 am was full of optimism and they were talking about scaling back releases Sunday afternoon and all but challenging us all to a celebratory round of frisbee golf at 41st and Riverside on Monday. I think that's grossly irresponsible. I guarantee you every staff member at ACOE knows it is a likely possibility Keystone releases will go up. Not down. 2-4" of rain in the Ark River basin over Kaw and Keystone this weekend will not allow them to decrease releases that and they know it. And that's just this weekend. There will be more rain next week. I am expecting 300K+. As a start.

I get that they don't want to be doom and gloom or panic people for no reason, but going from "everything cool guys" to having some sleepless caffeine addled corps dude have to break it to the media in a couple days that releases are going up is going to be a bad look.

Latest posts

Top Bottom