Flu Shot didn't work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are correct. I should have been less definitive. I guess I'd better rethink diagnosing anyone else on the Internet. My primary reason for posting was to whine. I'm not proud of it but that's the truth. My secondary reason was to say, don't feel invincible as I usually do because you got the shot or never get sick. The shot is not a sure thing and you should still take precautions.

How that parlayed into me attaching flu shots or the healthcare industry I do not know.

Really? You don't understand the capacity for any forum thread to be derailed and sent way off track? And trust me, it isn't just OSA. I'm also on three different RV forums and the same thing happens there. Someone can take a single short sentence from a 5 paragraph rant on one subject and totally take it way off track.

Oh, and I hate to say it, but I can do that almost as well as anyone else out there on forums.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, no... now, don't go being all scientific or fact-based. Here at OSA the annual "The Flu Shot Gave Me the Flu" thread is as venerable and predictable as the "Winter 4WD" thread or the "Concealed Carry at the State Fair" thread.
Well as a doc then you know factually that the flu shot does technically give you the flu. Hehe

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well as a doc then you know factually that the flu shot does technically give you the flu. Hehe

No, the proteins of the killed virus stimulate your immune system to make antibiodies that will protect you should the influenza virus infect you.

Soonerfan, if your wife got the shot a month ago, and she seroconverted, then she would've been ok. there is a certain people that just may not seroconvert. it's not the shot's fault, your immune system just didn't do what it should've. not good or bad, it just is. you're correct in that the test isn't great. but it's the best there is out there. A and B are the types of influenza in the community (unless you have something like the avian flu...which you don't). tamiflu doesn't "cure" the flu...it simply make a really sucky 2 weeks a slightly less sucky 8-10 days. community expectations of viral cures are insane. viruses are viruses, no cure, only palliative care. tR is right, ibuprofen/tylenol/soup/bed.

here's the boiled down version....flu, flu-like illness, RSV, adneovirus, rhinovirus, there is nothing anyone can do about upper respiratory infections (URI's)...except suck it up, refuse the Z-pak that the doc will write for you (that's a whole other topic of ridiculousness) and just deal with it for 2 weeks.

i hope you guys feel better soon.

cheers

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, the proteins of the killed virus stimulate your immune system to make antibiodies that will protect you should the influenza virus infect you.

Soonerfan, if your wife got the shot a month ago, and she seroconverted, then she would've been ok. there is a certain people that just may not seroconvert. it's not the shot's fault, your immune system just didn't do what it should've. not good or bad, it just is. you're correct in that the test isn't great. but it's the best there is out there. A and B are the types of influenza in the community (unless you have something like the avian flu...which you don't). tamiflu doesn't "cure" the flu...it simply make a really sucky 2 weeks a slightly less sucky 8-10 days. community expectations of viral cures are insane. viruses are viruses, no cure, only palliative care. tR is right, ibuprofen/tylenol/soup/bed.

here's the boiled down version....flu, flu-like illness, RSV, adneovirus, rhinovirus, there is nothing anyone can do about upper respiratory infections (URI's)...except suck it up, refuse the Z-pak that the doc will write for you (that's a whole other topic of ridiculousness) and just deal with it for 2 weeks.

i hope you guys feel better soon.

cheers
So yes

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what evs....the end result is immunity. i too have heard it described as the vaccine giving you a mild case of the flu...it's not technically accurate tho.
influenza is caused by a pathogenic virus that is actively replicating in the host. the shot could not replicate to cause disease in your body.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's see... which source of info should I trust?

1. The internet
2. What my friends, relatives, and coworkers say
3. My doctor

Hmmmmm... hard to decide

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Why refuse the z-pack? I understand if it's a bacterial vs. virus thing, but is this commonly prescribed just to keep patients from bitching?

Latest posts

Top Bottom