Flying the Quiet Skies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With regards to TSA, I do have to give them a kudo.

A couple of years ago, I took the wife to the airport in Oregon so she could fly back here to OKC to help our youngest son after having a surgery. (He's not married, so he doesn't have a "live-in" nurse.) Anyway, I'm standing out in the common area of the airport and watching them go through the wife's purse multiple times. Then, the next thing I see is my wife literally taking everything out of her purse. Got it all out and they ran the bag through the x-ray machine AGAIN. Then, more looking through the purse. Finally, everyone straightens up and my wife points to me. The TSA agent walks over and hands me the small pocket knife that the wife has carried in her purse for years, but seldom ever uses. It was hidden down in some little compartment or something that didn't let them "feel" the actual knife.

To think that TSA didn't call the cops to have this "dangerous" woman arrested amazes me. Well, based on stories one reads in the newspapers, I was surprised. Wife doesn't carry the pocket knife anymore.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't call that being a proud American. You're ok with our rights being systematically abused for "safety". You do realize that this goes against the very concept of our way of life, right? Why don't we just give up our guns and let the police do the protecting? There are many other ways to make sure that air travel is safer than to be obtrusive into the lives of unknowing people.

You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am. I’m simply presenting my side and I have never felt abused by efforts to keep me and my family safe.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion, just like I am. I’m simply presenting my side and I have never felt abused by efforts to keep me and my family safe.

Yes, unfortunately this is how most people view it, until they get the short end of the stick by these agents.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-federal-court-rules/?utm_term=.fd0c90eeae3a

In another thread cops are being sued directly for misconduct that resulted in injuries, and these rent-a-cops can not be sued when they overstep their boundaries. How would you feel if your wife got selected to get a full body pat down with no explanation given? What would you say if she came back in tears because the pat down was basically a groping? Don't say it doesn't happen. Or how about when your electronic devices get confiscated for some obscure reason? Or an agent is having a bad day and you looked at them, so they hold you up until you miss your flight? These are all documented abuses that have happened many times. And now couple all that with the fact that you have little to no remedy for these abuses, pretty much all you can do is file a complaint and we all know where those end up. And this makes you feel safe?

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I appreciate your attempt at a civics lesson but SERE school over 20 years ago taught more than a copy and paste lecture. Good luck and hopefully you survive this terrible country of ours!

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went thru the airport security a couple months ago. When I got to the Exray machine agent said arms up, I put one up and the other up around two inches and said that’s it. She said all the way up, I say not going to happen just had surgery and that’s as far as it goes. She gives me this look and turns to I suppose a supervisor, he said that’s fine. They done their thing then did the hand all over my body thing. I suppose not many people mess up their routine like that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom