Flying with Firearms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just don't try to carry on a live .223 round stuck in a side pocket that you missed when packing said carry on bag. Raises all kinds of alarms. Don't ask me how I know.
Been there, done that. But in my case it was a 10 mm that refused to fire at the range and I happened to stash in one of my cargo pockets on my shorts. I made it through OKC Airport without a problem. Vegas Airport, on the other hand, was a little more thorough. Took a good bit of explanation to get through security that day. 😁

hipv125

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol last time I went through Will Rogers I had some 9mm rounds in my backpack way up underneath a flap covered in what I’m guessing was grease for my M1 Garand. The TSA guy was super cool about it thank goodness.

Southernman_67

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, it has to be as it's own piece of luggage; it can't be stuffed in another piece of luggage. With the locks and the signed declaration.
You can carry a declared firearm in the proper case inside your luggage. Or, you can check the case on it’s own. Your choice. I prefer it to be in my suitcase.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Spitfire

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just don't try to carry on a live .223 round stuck in a side pocket that you missed when packing said carry on bag. Raises all kinds of alarms. Don't ask me how I know.

Been there, done that. But in my case it was a 10 mm that refused to fire at the range and I happened to stash in one of my cargo pockets on my shorts. I made it through OKC Airport without a problem. Vegas Airport, on the other hand, was a little more thorough. Took a good bit of explanation to get through security that day. 😁
Now imagine getting all the way to a highly restrictive international destination with one (or several), because it wasn't caught at the departure point. Someplace like Mexico. Or India. Don't ask me how I know what happens then!

Check you bags closely when flying, and extra, Extra, EXTRA closely if flying international!
If you or I tried to board an airplane with a loaded firearm twice in 14 months I believe we would've been clamped in irons and thrown into the hoosegow. But not a privileged member of congress. They are above the law.
No you wouldn't (unless it's After Former Conviction of a Felony, or the firearm is listed stolen in NCIC), but it would be very, very expensive! And yes, it will be expensive for him too! ;)

TheDoubleD

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some qualified immunities for Congress, such as travel to the legislature. Those immunities were establish not for ease of travel rather for when a Senator or Congressman traveled via horse or carriage and crossed other states or jurisdiction. It was intended to protect them from being stopped and missing important votes.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are some qualified immunities for Congress, such as travel to the legislature. Those immunities were establish not for ease of travel rather for when a Senator or Congressman traveled via horse or carriage and crossed other states or jurisdiction. It was intended to protect them from being stopped and missing important votes.
TSA doesn't recognize this as an exemption in their CIVIL penalty framework. :)

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now imagine getting all the way to a highly restrictive international destination with one (or several), because it wasn't caught at the departure point. Someplace like Mexico. Or India. Don't ask me how I know what happens then!

Check you bags closely when flying, and extra, Extra, EXTRA closely if flying international!
A DJ I used to listen to down in Dallas had a story he would often tell about going to Mexico on a station sponsored trip only to realize once he got there that he had somehow packed his gun with him and made it through DFW security with it. Apparently his solution to that issue was to chuck it into the Gulf of Mexico before coming back to the states. :-)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A DJ I used to listen to down in Dallas had a story he would often tell about going to Mexico on a station sponsored trip only to realize once he got there that he had somehow packed his gun with him and made it through DFW security with it. Apparently his solution to that issue was to chuck it into the Gulf of Mexico before coming back to the states. :-)
I would not discourage that solution, based on the knowledge I have on the matter! :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom