FNS pistols now going off "accidentally".

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a lot more if's than striker fired that are kept charged and ready in the holster and go off like those mentioned above and require an error on the person's part. When was the last time you heard of a DA pistol going off accidentally?
When they accidentally forgot to take their finger out of the trigger guard, or when they accidentally didn’t decock it, or they accidentally didn’t engage their safety , or they accidentally thought it was unloaded, or they accidentally pulled the trigger due to some reflexive twitch..
Point being, 99.999999999999999999999999999% of ad or nds have nothing to do with the pistol, and everything to do w user error. Therefore your reason for carrying a DA is misplaced.
Perceived safety can breed complacency. Please be careful.
Been there done that

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When they accidentally forgot to take their finger out of the trigger guard, or when they accidentally didn’t decock it, or they accidentally didn’t engage their safety , or they accidentally thought it was unloaded, or they accidentally pulled the trigger due to some reflexive twitch..
Point being, 99.999999999999999999999999999% of ad or nds have nothing to do with the pistol, and everything to do w user error. Therefore your reason for carrying a DA is misplaced.
Perceived safety can breed complacency. Please be careful.
Been there done that

You're splitting hairs. My point is thus: disregarding user error, with the striker charged there is a significantly greater chance it can fire accidentally than on a DA/SA with the hammer uncocked. True or false? Yes, you can drop a DA on the hammer and it could hit with enough force to fire, but that is one spot on the firearm vs dropping a striker fired pistol anywhere and having the striker release. I am not saying that carrying a striker fired pistol is unsafe, I'm saying I prefer that extra level of safety. I know some people carry their DA/SA cocked and locked, which IMO is akin to carrying a striker fired with a round in the chamber.

It all comes down to personal preference, I prefer DA/SA for that extra level of safety. And yes, I plan on being careful as I check before I holster if the hammer is down and the safety is on. I also go through once a week (at least) and do a function check on all my pistols, especially my EDC and bedside firearm.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're splitting hairs. My point is thus: disregarding user error, with the striker charged there is a significantly greater chance it can fire accidentally than on a DA/SA with the hammer uncocked. True or false? Yes, you can drop a DA on the hammer and it could hit with enough force to fire, but that is one spot on the firearm vs dropping a striker fired pistol anywhere and having the striker release. I am not saying that carrying a striker fired pistol is unsafe, I'm saying I prefer that extra level of safety. I know some people carry their DA/SA cocked and locked, which IMO is akin to carrying a striker fired with a round in the chamber.

It all comes down to personal preference, I prefer DA/SA for that extra level of safety. And yes, I plan on being careful as I check before I holster if the hammer is down and the safety is on. I also go through once a week (at least) and do a function check on all my pistols, especially my EDC and bedside firearm.
I’m not splitting hairs, and you can’t disregard human error when talking about the safety level of a particular pistol. One that is DA is more apt to have safeties and particular operations that are needed to perform a proper manual of arms. Also the more complicated a particular pistol is, the more prone to reliability maintenance issues it can and often has. Sigs often the exception.
I’m just saying there’s a lot more that should be incorporated into one’s pistol choice. Because pistols just don’t break and fire off a round. I’d be more worried of getting Botulism from eating a can of spagettios

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re crazy, you’re effing crazy. But I like you.
tenor.gif

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just saying there’s a lot more that should be incorporated into one’s pistol choice. Because pistols just don’t break and fire off a round. I’d be more worried of getting Botulism from eating a can of spagettios

No, but when jostled or hit they can go off. The video in the OP showed that FNS model getting a tap on the top and it fired. That will not happen in a DA with the hammer decocked. And I can think of many ways that could happen when carrying. Does it happen a lot? No. In fact its pretty rare. But the fact that the possibility exists is enough to influence my decision. In all reality I could probably carry a striker fired pistol with no problems, but after seeing several videos of different brands and models doing something similar to this FNS model, I decided no thanks.

As far as reliability goes, that's where you research a firearm before making it your EDC. Not only that but train with it. I've been doing drills where I draw my pistol and as it leaves the holster I'm hitting the safety then firing as soon as I get it in the ready position (love the snap caps my wife bought me for Christmas!).

Latest posts

Top Bottom