Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Urea is only slightly acidic, it would take mega amounts and years to see a change. Sulfur is quicker, and smaller the granule the quicker the change, till taking 2 or more years to reap the full benefit. What was your ph there Dennis?

It was 8.3 about two years ago. Its down to the mid 7's now. Not bad for wheat.

I do have access to liquid Sulphur, so I put it on with my spray rig.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is what I was thinking. I plan on planting a soil building crop on one food plot for the summer. If we get the timely rains, I would like to plant another plot that will be high protein, high nutrient and supposed to be pretty drought tolerant. We'll see what happens.

What are you thinking of planting? Milo? Drought resistant.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting some soy beans on one plot just to see how well the soil takes the nitrogen by fall when I put in wheat for a food plot. Take another soil test, but its only $10. I can use the spring test vs the fall test to get an idea of how much that might help.

Its not for a summer plot, the neighbors put in my summer plots for me. lol
:D

Got to love a farmer who likes to plant milo lol.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
All I know about it is that it was developed in OK. Rye in general requires less water than wheat, and my neighbor plants 18 quarters of rye west of me in the sand to pasture cattle on during the winter. I'm not sure what variety he uses but it gets little rain, grazed hard and keeps up all winter.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know about it is that it was developed in OK. Rye in general requires less water than wheat, and my neighbor plants 18 quarters of rye west of me in the sand to pasture cattle on during the winter. I'm not sure what variety he uses but it gets little rain, grazed hard and keeps up all winter.

Thanks Okie. I'm going to try it out along with BFO side by side on one plot. Should be interesting to see the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haakdustin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I am about to order the seed. I am doing 6 acres in Eagle Seed Game Keeper and 7 acres in Real World Soybeans. I have medium deer densities here in Oklahoma. I am looking for opinions on planting without protection of any kind. I don't want to waste my money on all of the seed and planting and not have enough plants to throw pods for deer in winter months. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom