Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
About what date would I no till drill Eagle Seed Soybeans in Calvin, OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I am about to order the seed. I am doing 6 acres in Eagle Seed Game Keeper and 7 acres in Real World Soybeans. I have medium deer densities here in Oklahoma. I am looking for opinions on planting without protection of any kind. I don't want to waste my money on all of the seed and planting and not have enough plants to throw pods for deer in winter months. Opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No matter your location, soil temps need to be 65-66* or higher will really no chance of frost afterward. In the farming world, May or June in OK. The deer will chow on the plants throughout almost it's entire growth cycle, whether it makes enough pods for you in the winter, depends on how hard it gets hammered all summer. Are you planting it, or broadcasting it?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concur with Okie. I have planted cow peas in April and they have done well, likewise in May and June. Without protection, I expect the deer will wipe out the soybeans before Fall. I have put up an electric fence around my cowpeas to keep the deer out while the peas grew tall. The double fence was 3 feet apart. I was assured that this would keep the deer out. It worked for awhile. When the peas were tall enough to sustain grazing I turned off the electric and lowered the fences to allow the deer an opportunity to feed. It did not take long before the plants were browsed down and I had to raise the fences again. The deer were persistent and braved the double fence and electrical shock. They finally wiped out the peas.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spent yesterday with Dr. James Kroll, and approx 30 other people, at his annual Whitetail Deer seminar. I learned a few new things about deer genetics, some new seed blends that I am implementing this Spring in my warm season plantings, and am planting some new fruit trees that will drop their fruit in October and November. It was a long drive but worth it.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent Good Friday planting asian pear and October/November bearing apple trees for the deer. These specific trees will bear and drop their fruit in September, October and November thus adding an additional reason for the whitetails to stay on my properties. The window to plant these trees is open. It will take a year or two for the trees to grow sufficient root structure to support the fruit but the deer will relish your effort. Momma might be happy too because she will have the makings for some pies and cobblers. Can't beat a fresh cobbler in deer camp smothered in Braum's vanilla ice cream when the air is chilly. If anyone wants specifics on the trees then shoot me a pm.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A dozen pears and apple trees have now been planted, fertilized, caged and pieces of old carpet have been layed around the base for moisture retention and weed control. Next year with a couple more food plots coming on line, then another 4-6 fruit trees will be planted to further provide attractants for the deer. I know these additions will really benefit the wildlife and my freezer with the fruit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom