Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh. yes I remember those plots. You wanted them KILLED, KILL'EM YOU SAID! You wanted to overdose them with Glyphosate as I recall. Thankfully, you listened to the "Ol Gimp" and we did just fine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh. yes I remember those plots. You wanted them KILLED, KILL'EM YOU SAID! You wanted to overdose them with Glyphosate as I recall. Thankfully, you listened to the "Ol Gimp" and we did just fine.

So you can kill those plants deader than dead by using more huh? That's the point of an overdose lol :)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used an overseeder to put in food plots?

I've been planning to plant a winter pasture this year for my cows and found slightly used overseeder at a really good price, and I was trying to justify buying it by possibly being able to use it for food plots too.

Last edited:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depending what you are wanting to plant, you may be able to just broadcast the seed. I am going to broadcast some chickory and clover seed over my existing standing grass. It will germinate when the soil temp is low enough and we have sufficient rain to allow germination.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure about what your calling an overseeder.
There have been pasture drills built in the past that are basically no till drills for planting over existing grass.
A little more detail?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, please move this to the existing food plot thread.

Here's the one I'm looking at.
http://www.landpride.com/products/139/aps15-series-all-purpose-seeders

Yep pasture drill. It would work fine for food plots. That model doesn't require working the soil previously, but for a food plot, with worked ground, it would still work great. Just have to back off the pressure of the cutters so it doesn't go too deep.
Those units aren't cheap. If you get a good price, I'd go for it, especially if its going to be used for a cattle operation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one I've found has only been used once, and I think I can get it under $3k. A local dealer sell the same model for over $5k.
Steal. I'd go for it in that condition.

Edit: There is one of the old pasture drills sitting along a fence near Skiatook lake. Been in the same place for 20 years. I've stopped and asked him if it was for sale twice.
Nope.
Last time I went by, the box was rotted out from rust.
Never understood the reason to hang on to unused equipment, although I do have one piece I won't let go. Grandpa's home made tumble bug scraper. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=865980

That thing will move a lot of dirt, and it can be used with a pickup. The ground has to be worked previously
Years ago I used it to move dirt from a high spot in a field to a low spot that collected puddles.
There is a trip rope that I ran through the back window. Pull it through the dirt, and it fills up the tube, then when you get to the low spot, pull the rope that trips it and it rolls over dumping the dirt. Repeat, and repeat.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some things that are priceless.

I'm going to be relatively close to where the seeder is tomorrow and will try to go take look at it (probably buy it...). Thanks for your insight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom