Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ended up buying a Howse 5 ft. tiller. Working great so far. Was able to put in 3 plots this past Monday. Mosquitos are horrible in the sw part of the state. Planted rye, triticale and bfo mix. Also some of the Ross mix. Got a quarter inch of rain that night.
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160903_750a7092b6270b6f3616d52b722a87c8.jpg
uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160903_b14c99b18db3f5d2dd4880a4c05a86e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few questions for those experienced in Oklahoma food plots. This is our second year on a lease in eastern Comanche county. Mostly sandy soil with bermuda grass for hay and grazing. I am thinking of doing a few small food plots about 1/4 acre each.
1. Am I too late? I am going to try to plant this Sunday.
2. What should I plant?
I was thinking of the evolved harvest throw and gro (rye, clover, and forage rape) or mega plot (triticale forage grain, oats, forage turnips and annual forage clovers). I have access to a small Harrow drag to work the soil, and was thinking of just broadcast spreading the seed after dragging with the Harrow. Then chain drag or something to cover seed.
Any recommendations on a better option I an get locally are appreciated. I am on a shoestring budget and time. Which sucks, but such is life. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not too late, actually too early for some of the things you mentioned. It's still too hot and soil temps are too warm yet. If in a pinch, hurry, budget, no time for soil test, spraying, etc...... you'll still need to break the soil somewhat, but rye and wheat are almost a no fail in OK, and it's cheap. Rye and wheat being grasses, if there's bermuda growing there, so will rye and wheat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a few questions for those experienced in Oklahoma food plots. This is our second year on a lease in eastern Comanche county. Mostly sandy soil with bermuda grass for hay and grazing. I am thinking of doing a few small food plots about 1/4 acre each.
1. Am I too late? I am going to try to plant this Sunday.
2. What should I plant?
I was thinking of the evolved harvest throw and gro (rye, clover, and forage rape) or mega plot (triticale forage grain, oats, forage turnips and annual forage clovers). I have access to a small Harrow drag to work the soil, and was thinking of just broadcast spreading the seed after dragging with the Harrow. Then chain drag or something to cover seed.
Any recommendations on a better option I an get locally are appreciated. I am on a shoestring budget and time. Which sucks, but such is life. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Wheat, wheat, wheat. Never did rye. Throw it on the ground, and run over it with what ever you have handy to break up a little soil. If you get a period of wet weather, the seed on top of the ground will germinate and grow.
The wheat will be palatable to the deer all season long. The rape and brassicas will only be eaten after a freeze, and sometimes in Ok that doesn't happen until after gun season is over.
Wheat will continue to grow after being topped off by deer for later browsing.
If you have a means to break up the ground pretty good, broadcast 90-100 lbs per acre and go over it with a drag like chain link fence or even a railroad tie chained behind the truck.
If you don't have anything, put 200 lbs to the acre and let mother nature/rain get it started. Put it down right before the rain hits to keep birds from eating it first.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since I bought the overseeder, my youngest son has been wearing me out about planting food plots (for this year), but my idea has been to keep doing what we're doing for this year and re-evaluate next year.

Here's the deal. Due to my "projected" work schedule, I'm probably only going to be able to hunt in October (and MAYBE the first weekend in November), so I'll more than likely not even get to see what I plant come up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to planting just for the sake of the deer, but dang it, I'd at least like to be able to see it come up and maybe hunt over it.

My question to y'all is, given my situation, would you try to plant or not?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since I bought the overseeder, my youngest son has been wearing me out about planting food plots (for this year), but my idea has been to keep doing what we're doing for this year and re-evaluate next year.

Here's the deal. Due to my "projected" work schedule, I'm probably only going to be able to hunt in October (and MAYBE the first weekend in November), so I'll more than likely not even get to see what I plant come up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to planting just for the sake of the deer, but dang it, I'd at least like to be able to see it come up and maybe hunt over it.

My question to y'all is, given my situation, would you try to plant or not?

Plant.......I can't think of any food plot worthy plant, that would take that long to germinate to the point you wouldn't get to see it. Now they might not use it much till mid November, but you'd get to see it. Your boys not December bow hunters?

Latest posts

Top Bottom