Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today is a good day to spread clover seed on the melting snow so that, later in the week, the freeze/thaw cycle can allow the clover to settle into the soil for Spring germination

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This month and next month are prime for a controlled burn of your timbered areas on your hunting property to reduce fuel load in case of an uncontrolled burn, reduce briars, control unwanted sprouts, and open the canopy to allow more light to hit the ground. Most importantly, remove any cedars!!! Contact your NRCS office for help and to look into USDA programs that will provide some funding for your projects.

haakdustin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi. My property is in Oklahoma near Ada, OK. I was thinking about frost seeding some clover into standing wheat/BFO. When should I do it to have the best success?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi. My property is in Oklahoma near Ada, OK. I was thinking about frost seeding some clover into standing wheat/BFO. When should I do it to have the best success?

Late fall is the best time, but your not too late. I'd get it in as soon as possible.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. What clover is best for sandy soil, central Oklahoma in soil with ph between 5.8 and 6?

Ladino is pretty universal. The issue with most clovers in Oklahoma is water. The eastern part of the state typically has a better water fall annually, and also has more woody cover in the area.
A lot of folks that plant back east clear out a patch in the woods. Depending on the height of the trees in the area, the clover may get direct sunlight only 4 hours a day, and indirect light the rest of the day. That helps with water retention in the soil.
Out west where I hunt, the sun hits it at sunrise and quits at sunset. Its a waste of money and time to try and put in a perennial clover patch. Dries up and dies by bow season or earlier. Clover needs water.
If you have a means of watering your patch, by all means get after it. The deer really like it. You will have to mow and spray with a selective herbicide in the summer to keep down weeds. Its a high maintenance food plot.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Hoddy is spot on, as usual. Ladino is a white clover with big leaves which is what the deer eat. They pop the tops off the plant. If you dont look close you may not realize the deer are browsing the tops off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom