Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Should I leave the bluestem for cover and put a couple protein feeders up for the summer or work an area up to plant some summer crops?

The gamble of summer rains and temperatures sways me toward using some cake feeders.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should I leave the bluestem for cover and put a couple protein feeders up for the summer or work an area up to plant some summer crops?

The gamble of summer rains and temperatures sways me toward using some cake feeders.
It all depends on what your deer want. If you have the equipment, and the acre's I'd plant some beans in the spring. When they nip them off, they are pretty much done. Bluestem is not a preferred food for whitetail.
As far as using feed, try different things and see what they like. I have put out salt blocks, Molasses, Mineral Blocks, deer cocain, etc and rarely have a deer come to it.
Don't know if its because its new to them and makes them wary of it, or its a mineral/nutrient their body tells them they don't need.
I suspect its something they don't need.
My typical plot is red wheat patches. Survives all of the cold spells, and its something they grew up on as my area is pretty much 90% agriculture. They eat beans, milo, corn and wheat all year long from the surrounding farms. They are pretty spoiled!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Which corner of the state is Nowhere? If you've got ag summer crops around, you should have enough rain fall, if you don't, keep your cover. Big bucks like big grass.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Keeping the bluestem would be just for the cover for the deer. Many crops are irrigated in SW Oklahoma, but dryland crops are successful some years.

Looks like I will keep the bluestem and just put up a couple of protein feeders. Protein pellets any opinions?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping the bluestem would be just for the cover for the deer. Many crops are irrigated in SW Oklahoma, but dryland crops are successful some years.

Looks like I will keep the bluestem and just put up a couple of protein feeders. Protein pellets any opinions?

Not living within close proximity to my place and time being an huge issue, I'm going the protein feeder route this year instead of food plots. I'm trying to figure out what protein will be best too.

I've heard from a feed store owner that Purina "deer pellets" are basically the same as their dairy pellets but without the big buck picture on the bag. Does anyone know if this is true?

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am familiar with Purina feeds and I know, on two occasions, deer mineral and feed manufacturers have been approached by Purina to purchase them and in the negotiations the formulas were going to be changed to reduce the quality in order to raise the profit margin. Both men turned down the offers because they were not going to sell their companies so the end product quality was reduced.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to start reading this thread from post #1, but in the meantime I have a question.

What is the best clover or clover mix to plant this time of year?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom