Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Time to freshen your mineral licks.

My clover and plantain food plots are getting browsed pretty heavily right now. The best part is my clover is going to seed and I should have an incredible amount of seed for the fall. The plantain is going to seed too.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The chikory and plantain are holding their own in this heat as the clover is going dormant for now. I will be planting more of the chikory and plantain in the fall to further support the clover. I am considering adding an additional blend to my mix this Fall to further extend the high protein requirements of the deer during the most stressful time in their annual cycle, the summer.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plant 100#/acre of the BFO's and the deer stay on it all winter. Last year the price was $32.50/50# or $65.00/acre. I will be checking with my producer shortly to determine this years price. The $32.50 includes shipping. I may also put together a blend of chickory, plantain and clover that has done such a good job for me on my plots. The blend actually performed better than I expected. I will be adding this blend to all of my pastures to further diversify my forage during the summer months. If anyone is interested in my blend let me know and I will formulate a price per pound.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Old Phart - You are correct the $29.00/50# does not include shipping. There has been a price increase this year on the BFO's which is the first in 8 years. I will go up $1.00/bag to $33.50/50# and this includes shipping with pickup in OKC. Shipping on a per bag basis will run around $20-25.00/bag if you ordered thru their website. So this is a good value at $33.50.

Latest posts

Top Bottom