Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good Dennis, I figured the johnson and crabgrass would be out of control with the rains.
Zero crabgrass on this patch and a very small crop of johnson grass. I was amazed as well.
Something about crabgrass. I have a place on the Salt Fork that after wheat harvest (which didn't happen this year because of drought) always has a great stand of crabgrass which the neighbor that runs a hay business comes in and swathes then bales.
Zero crabgrass on that property as well. Don't know what to say caused that this season.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever have good luck with straight radishes and turnips planted in Oklahoma? I know they are good for after the freezes start but I was wondering how they are around rifle season. Thanks for any input!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone ever have good luck with straight radishes and turnips planted in Oklahoma? I know they are good for after the freezes start but I was wondering how they are around rifle season. Thanks for any input!
It depends on weather. If it it freezes before rifle season then they would have a pretty good draw during rifle season. I have watched deer chowing with leaves hanging out of there mouth when I was bundled up for rifle season. Other years I was in a t shirt and could have worn shorts.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on weather. If it it freezes before rifle season then they would have a pretty good draw during rifle season. I have watched deer chowing with leaves hanging out of there mouth when I was bundled up for rifle season. Other years I was in a t shirt and could have worn shorts.
Exactly. The typical fall freeze sometimes doesn't happen until rifle season, so food plots planted with varieties of rape or brassica's are useless for Bow and Muzzleloader season.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 4X4 Fall Mix perrenials do not rely on needing a freeze to make the food plots attractive to the deer and they are drought tolerant too. Bowhunter I tried calling you today. The deer have spent the summer in my BFO/4X4 blend feeding on the perrenials. I see them nightly feeding just before dark.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Eastern side of state is pretty forgiving, humid, little wind, better soil, makes for a pretty large planting window. Wheat and other grasses aren't usually planted for crop on that side of the state till mid October, or after soybean harvest, which is about the same time. Farmer's time frame isn't the same as us hunters looking to poke a deer October 1 though lol :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made it to the food plot today to get it worked up. Disked it two months ago and you wouldn’t know it by the jungle that was in there.
81cacc2517039519c5fd3a140015e98d.jpg

75039a7e703382b60000114a3fd4b140.jpg

2e1a529605324bdcf7276ec58b04ee57.jpg

2b885aa9e4d42ea999f00317836d8fd6.jpg

b1133650558ee598fdd25144876a939d.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom