Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s the situation. I’ve got 360 acres basically by myself (no one else has hunted there but me in two years), and there have only been 4 deer taken off the place in the last 3 years. I’ve got leasers hunting south, east, and west of my place. The east hunters feed a little protein and corn and plant small “hunting” plots, and they are supposedly “trophy horn” hunters. The leasers to the south have been hunting there longer than I have, and to my knowledge, all they do is put out a little corn during season. They aren’t very picky about the bucks they shoot, but they don’t subscribe to the “if it’s brown, it’s down” methodology. I don’t know the hunters on the west, so they are wild cards.

Being realistic, I know that drawing and holding deer off the neighboring properties is probably unlikely given the realively small acreage, but my goal is to do the best I can to provide a sustainable food source so they don’t have to go elsewhere for groceries. From what y’all are sharing in this thread and my talks with Deerslayer, I believe a plan is attainable. Thanks!!!

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know I could dig through this thread and get my answer, but...
Should we just buy a bag of minerals for cattle and put out a portion on the ground?
I have put out manger blocks in the past, but is that enough?
Any solid advice would be appreciated.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toothpick - are you wanting to just get by or do you want to get a quality mineral specifically tailored for deer? There is a difference. If you want quality then I can help you. I will be purchasing 50 pounds of quality mineral for my farm herd on the 10th of March when I go to Nebraska for a seminar that I am teaching. I have been using this mineral for several years and the deer readily take to it. I am buying direct from the manufacturer who I have known for many years, who I trust explicitly, and I have used his feed for years with excellant results. If you are interested I will check the price for a bag and let you know. I only recommend products that I have used and know that the claims made are true. There is alot of hype in the deer marketplace.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Atwoods carries a mineral that is already mixed unlike the one recipe provided in another post. It is a 50# bag for about $22. One of the big things to look for is a percentage of phosphorous that is about half of the percentage of calcium.

When first locating where to place mineral, look for an area with a lot of deer travel in the spring months of the year, and near a fresh water source. I try to have a mineral lick per 40-50 acres. Once established I freshen (add new mineral) every mid to end of January and then again in April or so. I use a fork shovel to mix the mineral in the top 2-3" of soil.
httpwww.atwoodsoutdoors.comimageslarge-animal33630020.png

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When first locating where to place mineral, look for an area with a lot of deer travel in the spring months of the year, and near a fresh water source.

Just how close to water are you talking?

Got a 30 acre plot with two ponds on it, one of which is extremely small. It's surrounded by by more acreage that has feeders and the deer roam a wide area. With only 30 acres, just pick a high traffic trail?

Latest posts

Top Bottom