Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure wish mine had another inch of rain. Cloudy and cooler is better than sun and wind.

Pics of mine today.
20200922_155540.jpg
20200922_152843.jpg
20200922_152834.jpg

Attachments

• 20200922_155544.jpg
    20200922_155544.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 180

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dennis I have one plot about 5 acres that was thick like yours. Seeds kept plugging up the radiator and took forever just to cut. Cut yesterday and disc'd today with an 8 ft. offset. The ground is worked but covered in thick grass. I don't have a rake and definitey not doing by hand. Do you or anyone else here think that if I spread seed and try to drag (which will probably be a big clump of grass) that the seed will take off?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 175680
This is what it looks like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you spread it and rolled maybe, spreading it and dragging it I'm afraid you won't be happy with it. Not sure how much of a fire bug you are but I would clear back 5'-10' from the edges down to dirt and let the whole thing back burn. Looks like Friday will be almost no wind.

Otherwise let it dry and keep disking the trash in until it's gone

This plot was 4' tall, 3a in size, good moisture and I spent about 45 min on it, much heavier disc though of course.
20200927_072111.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dennis I have one plot about 5 acres that was thick like yours. Seeds kept plugging up the radiator and took forever just to cut. Cut yesterday and disc'd today with an 8 ft. offset. The ground is worked but covered in thick grass. I don't have a rake and definitey not doing by hand. Do you or anyone else here think that if I spread seed and try to drag (which will probably be a big clump of grass) that the seed will take off?
I’ve been through this in past years and still planted getting only mediocre results, so that’s one reason I decided not to plant this year. I got rained out while mowing in August, so when I mowed last week, the grass fodder was THICK. Having been through this before, I decided to abandon the project this year.:anyone:

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how easily you will be able to get that to burn. Just from the 1 pic, it looks like you will be having to light it several times as it will burn out several times.

If you have a way to add some weight to the disk and run over it a couple more times, it will probably clean up better. If one pass cleans it up better, broadcast your seed (cereal grain size, wheat, oats, rye or winter peas) and then lightly disk it about 2 inches. I suggest the 3rd pass with disk to cover seed if looks like the grass residue is going to be an issue for dragging over seed.

I also think the disking over seed the size of wheat, oats, rye or peas help to cover it a little deeper which should help it withstand lack of rain it its early days of growth.

In future years, if you can spray gly (generic Round Up) 2 or 3 weeks before disking, you will see the vegetation work in easier. It will also readily burn if you choose to do that.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure how easily you will be able to get that to burn. Just from the 1 pic, it looks like you will be having to light it several times as it will burn out several times.

If you have a way to add some weight to the disk and run over it a couple more times, it will probably clean up better. If one pass cleans it up better, broadcast your seed (cereal grain size, wheat, oats, rye or winter peas) and then lightly disk it about 2 inches. I suggest the 3rd pass with disk to cover seed if looks like the grass residue is going to be an issue for dragging over seed.

I also think the disking over seed the size of wheat, oats, rye or peas help to cover it a little deeper which should help it withstand lack of rain it its early days of growth.

In future years, if you can spray gly (generic Round Up) 2 or 3 weeks before disking, you will see the vegetation work in easier. It will also readily burn if you choose to do that.

Had just added the lease recently and it was a last second deal. Hired someone to do the cutting and discing so I really can’t redo it. I wish I would’ve sprayed them now. Might have to rehire them after the grass dries out more I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom