Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also got the big field right in front of my cabin ready to plant. I don’t hunt it and mainly plant it for a fire break and to give the deer more food through the winter, so I’m in no rush to plant this one. I’ll get it in sometime in October.

AFE6E286-1056-47BF-8F24-0EEDD736B86E.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
As dry as it is right now, I believe my place could suck up a couple inches and still be dusty. :anyone:
Definitely dry up there except for in a few spots where it rained a bunch 3 weeks ago today. I buried 4x4 tractor and grain drill planting wheat last week lol, first time ever. Had to have dozer pull it out the next day.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm to the point I'm going to buy a high pressure pump that runs off of a generator to create an irrigation system on my food plot from the pond that's 50-100 yards away from the boundaries of the clover plot. It should be coming out of summer dormancy, but it's too dry.
Run a tank of fuel out of the generator with a half dozen impact sprinklers on a 2" PVC header will work for a week or two, and then repeat. I've used the same system off of the well at the house to water a garden for many years and it works.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm to the point I'm going to buy a high pressure pump that runs off of a generator to put in the pump and create an irrigation system on my food plot from the pond that's 50-100 yards away from the boundaries of the clover plot. It should be coming out of summer dormancy, but it's too dry.
Run a tank of fuel out of the generator with a half dozen impact sprinklers on a 2" PVC header will work for a week or two, and then repeat. I've used the same system off of the well at the house to water a garden for many years and it works.
Put a flow meter on it, I'd be curious to see how long it would take. 14k gal = 1/2" rainfall on 1 acre.

Latest posts

Top Bottom