Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw a small tree cutter attachment (in a magazine?) years ago, that basically looked like an overgrown hydraulic bolt cutter. I don't remember whether it was home-made or a commercial unit.
___
There’s a guy in Cushing that builds those, and they’re a POS…don’t ask me how I know. :censored:

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have big oak trees that need removing in order to expand our food plots so mandatory we get 6" below surface so can plow/disc safely. Cool saw though!
i have cut off white oak 26 inch diameter without any problem and could go bigger . but flush with ground. sounds like you need a dozer or an excavator.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the farms today to do some work for this coming fall deer season.
The clover patch on one wooded area I call the 22 acre patch in the middle of an agriculture section is getting close to it's 5 year life span with some bare areas last season, so took three pounds of Ladino Clover seed to overseed the entire 1/3 acre food plot. The ground was damp so the roller pressed the seed into the soil. 100% chance of rain tomorrow so hopefully will get some germination.
This spot has a resident population of a dozen does. Bucks just visit when the need to breed arises but never stay around.
The blind which is great for archery in early season isn't so good for MZ or Rifle when the typical wind changes from south to north later in the season. The blind is North of the feeder so any wind from that direction spoils the food plot if a human is in the blind.
I have a 15' tall tripod stand that hasn't been sat in for many years so thought I could cut down several of the Osage Orange trees on the West side to install that tripod blind that would open up Rifle and MZ season if the wind was right. More options.
Remind me next time to wear long sleeves, hat and long pants with boots vs shorts, t shirt and tennis shoes when working with hedge. By the time 6 trees were cut down i was bleeding like a stuck hog from all the thorns in the arm, and head.
I need to cut more but that hedge wood is so hard that the chain saw went dull pretty quick and will need the tractor/front loader to push some brush around to allow more cutting. Used some Tordon RTU on the stumps to kill them so they don't resprout.
Get back in there next week to move the brush and cut a few more trees. Might need to take the small generator so I can sharpen the saw blade with a Dremel attachment.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the farms today to do some work for this coming fall deer season.
The clover patch on one wooded area I call the 22 acre patch in the middle of an agriculture section is getting close to it's 5 year life span with some bare areas last season, so took three pounds of Ladino Clover seed to overseed the entire 1/3 acre food plot. The ground was damp so the roller pressed the seed into the soil. 100% chance of rain tomorrow so hopefully will get some germination.
This spot has a resident population of a dozen does. Bucks just visit when the need to breed arises but never stay around.
The blind which is great for archery in early season isn't so good for MZ or Rifle when the typical wind changes from south to north later in the season. The blind is North of the feeder so any wind from that direction spoils the food plot if a human is in the blind.
I have a 15' tall tripod stand that hasn't been sat in for many years so thought I could cut down several of the Osage Orange trees on the West side to install that tripod blind that would open up Rifle and MZ season if the wind was right. More options.
Remind me next time to wear long sleeves, hat and long pants with boots vs shorts, t shirt and tennis shoes when working with hedge. By the time 6 trees were cut down i was bleeding like a stuck hog from all the thorns in the arm, and head.
I need to cut more but that hedge wood is so hard that the chain saw went dull pretty quick and will need the tractor/front loader to push some brush around to allow more cutting. Used some Tordon RTU on the stumps to kill them so they don't resprout.
Get back in there next week to move the brush and cut a few more trees. Might need to take the small generator so I can sharpen the saw blade with a Dremel attachment.
110v plug in my pick up will run a dremel.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I walked my food plots last weekend and my established clover is off and running, and the clover plots I put in last fall has a great stand that is coming on.

Between the established clover on this field, the winter food plot (wheat/BFOs/turnips/winter peas) and the mineral I put under that feeder, the deer are holding tight on my property.

81B7070F-2AD3-406F-9EBD-0FF06641AE88.jpeg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I walked my food plots last weekend and my established clover is off and running, and the clover plots I put in last fall has a great stand that is coming on.

Between the established clover on this field, the winter food plot (wheat/BFOs/turnips/winter peas) and the mineral I put under that feeder, the deer are holding tight on my property.

View attachment 262879
Did you find your bucks sheds?

Latest posts

Top Bottom