Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crimson clover loved the last rain!
red clover.jpg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I topped off the wheat in my ladino clover plots on Friday and got them all sprayed for weeds and grasses Friday evening. My 2 year old clover plot is thick and lush (pictured) and my two new clover plots that I seeded early last October have established well are really taking off. With this week of rain and cooler weather, I’m hoping they get a resurgence of growth before it gets too hot.

25B5975A-BFB7-4BCC-B1D2-49101CC16A92.jpeg
7E5F3C11-A5F4-497B-A3BA-A8429062DE39.jpeg

Refugee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm finally getting ready to start prepping my food plots. My main plot has low pH, no shock there, and is about 4 acres. I have three other plots that add up to another 6 acres and my goal is to get clover planted this fall. I have the land cleared, and my disc arrives next week. I have access to a brush hog for skid steer, and a small tractor with the aforementioned disc. I will also be getting a small boom sprayer for my tractor. My thoughts are to do the following:

Complete my soil samples (I only have main plot done)

Spray herbicide

Disc

Lime as prescribed by soil samples

Plant

Pray for rain

My questions are:
Do I have my order of operations correct?
Does anyone know where I can get an ag lime spreader/and lime near Norman or Shawnee?
Ideas for a seeder? Just broadcast and run over with a ring roller?

Thanks for the help!!

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm finally getting ready to start prepping my food plots. My main plot has low pH, no shock there, and is about 4 acres. I have three other plots that add up to another 6 acres and my goal is to get clover planted this fall. I have the land cleared, and my disc arrives next week. I have access to a brush hog for skid steer, and a small tractor with the aforementioned disc. I will also be getting a small boom sprayer for my tractor. My thoughts are to do the following:

Spray herbicide

Disc

Plant

Pray for rain

My questions are:
Does anyone know where I can get an ag lime spreader/and lime near Norman or Shawnee?

Thanks for the help!!
The order is fine. Where you get your soil samples tested is the most important thing you can do.This is the foundation for building a good food plot. OSU is not necessarily the best or cheapest for your sample tests. Do you want to plant an annual plot or do you want to look at planting a plot with high quality perenials that will be there every year and spread? If you want some serious help to shorten the learning curve then shoot me a PM. Call Shawnee Mills for ag lime and a spreader.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Spray herbicide

Disc

Plant

Pray for rain

My questions are:

Thanks for the help!!
I’d recommend a broadcast sprayer vs a boom type.
I can get a 30’ swath with my sprayer on a calm day while driving through some narrow areas. I know the booms are spring loaded to break over but, that’s my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom