Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One done, plant the other three tomorrow. Dry dry dry.

View attachment 308448
Quick question. Why leave the one lone tree in a food plot? We've got a couple of plots on the property we purchased a few years ago with some trees left that I would've cleared out so don't have to mow/till/plant around them. Curious is all.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Quick question. Why leave the one lone tree in a food plot? We've got a couple of plots on the property we purchased a few years ago with some trees left that I would've cleared out so don't have to mow/till/plant around them. Curious is all.
Not sure why he left it. It's a Osage Orange tree, so it's hard as stone and has a root ball that's no fun. Although there is a track hoe and a D5 CAT sitting literally 100y from this plot right now and has been for about 2 months lol.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
3/4” on my place in Bristow so far and still having showers this morning. My plots that are up should be in good shape by muzzleloader season and the others should be coming on by then. Plots for rifle season are looking promising.
I would be thrilled anything at this point, even a sprinkle lol.

Screenshot_20221011-091817_WeatherBug.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a couple trees in one of my food plots.
I usually overthink things but I left them there and the feeder nearby. My thinking was that that tiny bit of cover may keep them calmer with those trees nearby vs standing in an open food plot.
I have zero scientific evidence to support my theory however.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a couple trees in one of my food plots.
I usually overthink things but I left them there and the feeder nearby. My thinking was that that tiny bit of cover may keep them calmer with those trees nearby vs standing in an open food plot.
I have zero scientific evidence to support my theory however.
Where I grew up there was a 10a apple orchard, grass was always mowed down to the dirt. Even when there weren't any apples left on the ground or trees, those deer were always out there farting around way earlier than any large soybean fields that were on adjoining properties, and they could easily go to either place when they left cover.

Latest posts

Top Bottom