Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I managed about 75lb of treated soybean seed, trying to decide if I want to waste my time and diesel or not lol.
We should be getting into our wet season, but I won’t put any money on us getting any rain.
The last drought chart I saw showed us at the most severe
Of any place in the state.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 4x4 plot
Is growing and getting thick. Unfortunately I think my deer have mostly left to the ag fields because not getting much activity and plenty of browse. But I have these growing with some type
Of fruit. Was is this I didn’t know clover would flower
IMG_9434.jpeg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My 4x4 plot
Is growing and getting thick. Unfortunately I think my deer have mostly left to the ag fields because not getting much activity and plenty of browse. But I have these growing with some type
Of fruit. Was is this I didn’t know clover would flowerView attachment 367825
I bet they're just about on total natural browse right now unless there's an alfalfa field nearby. Wheat and oats are towards the end of their growth cycle and spring planted summer crops aren't in the ground just yet.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rebuilt one of my grain drills yesterday with new drop tubes, replaced a bearing, took two links out of the drive chain and got everything greased.
Buddy has a 15 acre pasture behind his house he isn't doing anything with this summer, so told him I'd like to plant it with a smorgasbord of seeds and see what grows.
50 lb bag of corn, 40 lb bag of black oil sunflower seed, and a 40 lb bag of bird seed that contains milo, corn, millet, and seeds I didn't recognize.
Buddy put in some pumpkin, watermelon, radish, turnip, and cantaloupe seed into the bin.
Got almost 10 acres planted.
Put a sample of the seeds in some wet paper towels and put them in a zip lock to see what germinates and we have two weeks of possible rain ahead of us, so we might get a great dove field by fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom