Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's kinda like Saugeye fishin spots. lol
But ok, I tell you one of the ingredients. It has Salt in it. Hope that helps, lol
Salt doesn't work in my area along the Salty fork of the Arkansas river. They get enough naturally. Never had a mineral lick get any attention no matter what I've used. 30 miles away, a buddy has deer destroy his licks using off the shelf stuff like deer cocain.
It's all what's in the soil and foods I guess.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck on the neighbor being fined. ODAFF ain't going to do anything. LAF
Too many Acronyms I'm not familiar with. We have one place about three miles away from us that had signs put up by somebody stating it was a noxious weed and they had so many days to clean it up. Posted the pic in another thread if I remember right. The sign is still hanging there I think.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Salt doesn't work in my area along the Salty fork of the Arkansas river. They get enough naturally. Never had a mineral lick get any attention no matter what I've used. 30 miles away, a buddy has deer destroy his licks using off the shelf stuff like deer cocain.
It's all what's in the soil and foods I guess.
In 20 years of hunting along the Salt Fork, I’ve tried and tried to get the deer to come to mineral, and it just ain’t happening. I don’t believe the deer in my area really need mineral OR supplemental protein, but I will continue to feed supplemental protein because they do eat it even if they don’t “need” it.:anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 20 years of hunting along the Salt Fork, I’ve tried and tried to get the deer to come to mineral, and it just ain’t happening. I don’t believe the deer in my area really need mineral OR supplemental protein, but I will continue to feed supplemental protein because they do eat it even if they don’t “need” it.:anyone:
I've been hunting that area all my life, well, since 1980 for deer. There wasn't much product back in those days for deer if at all. When the deer cocain came out in the 90's?? That is when my buddy started using it. He really had good success with it. Dug a hole, put a tarp to line the hole, mixed the cocaine and dirt putting it back into the hole. The following spring, it looked like a mini volcano. The deer had licked it so hard that it made a mound.
Same set up in my area and didn't have a track on it. Covered it in loose corn. When the corn was gone nothing disturbed the soil. This was in the spring and fall. That mineral plot is there from 20 or more years ago with nothing touching it to date.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many Acronyms I'm not familiar with. We have one place about three miles away from us that had signs put up by somebody stating it was a noxious weed and they had so many days to clean it up. Posted the pic in another thread if I remember right. The sign is still hanging there I think.
ODAFF is the Ok Dept of Ag Food & Forestry
He’s right, they aren’t heavy handed.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been hunting that area all my life, well, since 1980 for deer. There wasn't much product back in those days for deer if at all. When the deer cocain came out in the 90's?? That is when my buddy started using it. He really had good success with it. Dug a hole, put a tarp to line the hole, mixed the cocaine and dirt putting it back into the hole. The following spring, it looked like a mini volcano. The deer had licked it so hard that it made a mound.
Same set up in my area and didn't have a track on it. Covered it in loose corn. When the corn was gone nothing disturbed the soil. This was in the spring and fall. That mineral plot is there from 20 or more years ago with nothing touching it to date.
My Dad was a manufacturer’s rep for fishing tackle and hunting goods companies from the late 70’s until the early 2000’s when he sold his business, and he sold deer cocaine for many years. He demo’ed it in his pasture behind his house here in Texas, and there’s still a “crater” in the middle of the pasture where the deer dug a hole. It is so deep that when the deer go in for a lick that the whole front third of their body is in the hole. It was humorous to watch, but dang, they sure loved that stuff.:thumb:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live all the Deep Fork River and many years ago I tried some mineral by The Whitetail Institute and the deer never touched it. I tried a second mineral and it was not touched either. The river water as well as our well water is highly mineralized and I agree with Dennis there's no need. In contrast in Southeast OKla the deer hit my mineral lick hard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom