Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
My plots look like the sahara desert! got the 4x4 spread and cultipacked in along with 13-13-13 but without rain it's just sitting there waiting.
hows the plots looking guys, with no rain, i was able to drag many feet of hoses and sprinklers to the one nearest my house, and have some germination of the 4x4.
The three that I need to plant were tilled weeks ago and hasn't been rained on since, zero moisture to at least 6: down. I'll drag them and drill at the end of the week and hope for rain next week.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alfalfa county is showing some rain chances this weekend and again next Friday, but the accumulations they’re predicting won’t even settle the dust.
As of now, I’m not planning to come back up until muzzleloader season, but if there’s enough rain predicted, I’ll bring the tractor up and plant next week. If not, it’s going to be year 2 with no food plots. :censored:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
It's going to take some major rain soon around here. Saw a stat today that since June, we're going through worse conditions with lack of rain since the 1930's.

Screenshot_20221005-184914_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221005-184916_Facebook.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to take some major rain soon around here. Saw a stat today that since June, we're going through worse conditions with lack of rain since the 1930's.

View attachment 308068View attachment 308069
My deer corn guy said he is watering now in troughs. His cows were doing just that. Sad.
But, now there is an opportunity to get a track hoe in there and deepen that pond so it won't happen again.
It's going to be tough for farmers and ranchers to come up with that money though in this market.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
My deer corn guy said he is watering now in troughs. His cows were doing just that. Sad.
But, now there is an opportunity to get a track hoe in there and deepen that pond so it won't happen again.
It's going to be tough for farmers and ranchers to come up with that money though in this market.
Yeah in 2009-2011 most folks around here put in solar trickle wells or wells they just go turn on daily. They were having to haul several thousand gallons of water a day to keep up, most did that for several months at a time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah in 2009-2011 most folks around here put in solar trickle wells or wells they just go turn on daily. They were having to haul several thousand gallons of water a day to keep up, most did that for several months at a time.
That was the year the ODW shut down the DMAP on the land I hunt. We had molasses tubs and troughs out everywhere for the deer and critters. There was one really deep hole in the creek that held water all through that drought. I think the hole was deep enough that it hit ground water. Neighbor had a pump station down there to ferry water. I just had drums laid down with spigots on a trailer but it kept water in the tubs.
Our back yard bird bath has become a watering station for deer, squirrels and turkey. We have to fill it every day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom