Food Plot Chemical Spray Proportions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This should probably go in the food plot thread, but figured it would eventually get lost in the many pages of info. It will be easier to search this way.

For spraying 10gal/acre for total kill. This is what we spray on farm ground on the second spray of the summer. First round is 50% stronger, but what is below should work well for what we do with food plots. I'll list a couple volumes so you don't even have to do the math :)

100 gallons water:

1 gal water conditioner/surfactant (Class Act)
1.5 gal Round up (glyphos 41%)
2 gal Brash (which is 2-4D and Danvil) Just using 2-4D here is fine.
1 oz. Ally*

10 gallons of water:

13oz water conditioner/surfactant (Class Act)
20oz Round up (glyphos 41%)
26oz Brash or 2-4D
.1 oz Ally*

A couple of things....... add to water in the order listed above. You don't have to use water conditioner, but it does make your chemical more effective.

Don't mix glyphos and Brash/2-4D together prior to pouring into the tank, it will precipitate and look like cottage cheese.............doesn't spray well like that.

Ally will knock out mares tails, and is great broad control that will last for a season in most cases. That said, DO NOT use Ally if you're planning planting any legumes or a mix that includes legumes within 6 months after spraying.

Don't mow before you spray...........the chemical needs as much leaf contact as possible. If you have mow first, give it 3 or 4 weeks of regrowth before spraying.

If using Brash........be aware of your wind drift. If you have neighbors with soybeans, peas, or alfalfa, makes sure your wind is from the proper direction. On a pretty windy day, drift kills of over a mile have happened on a soybean crops.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
10gal per acre...........and that will depend on your pressure, nozzle gpm and the number of nozzles. What I spray with does 58 acres/hour, so less that 2 hours to spray out 1000 gallons. In general, most people won't put enough chemical on the plants. If it's green on top, the roots are still viable and should you cut the green off the top that's suffering, the roots are no longer receiving the chemical. Not as critical for plots as farm land of course, and usually plots are done when we can manage to scrape up enough time to make it happen :)

Lot's of variable too.......don't spray if the outside temp is over 95*, young plants die easier than you plants, don't spray with a ton of dew on the ground, travel slower when spraying in dusty conditions because the dust ties up your droplets..........the list goes on :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran 2 gal of glyphosate per 100 gallon of water on mine. The Johnson grass was over 6' high. The manufacturers specs called for a higher concentration when spraying it at that height.
I'll be mowing it this week.

257wby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie- what is the active chemical in ally? Is it Cimarron+?

Ally is Metsulfuron

Cimarron + is Metsulfuron and Chlorsulfuron

Don't use either if you are going to be planting radishes, turnips, clover, or any other small seeded broadleaf; or sunflower grain sorghum, corn beans at a 1 oz rate. 10 month plant back minimum

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ally is Metsulfuron

Cimarron + is Metsulfuron and Chlorsulfuron

Don't use either if you are going to be planting radishes, turnips, clover, or any other small seeded broadleaf; or sunflower grain sorghum, corn beans at a 1 oz rate. 10 month plant back minimum

Where you been hiding the last year or so? :)

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you used Chaparral which is granules not liquid? Very expensive over $400 for a 80 ounce jug but is supposed to kill weeds, blackberries and saplings. The manager at our local Stillwater Milling was telling me about it and how it doesn't wind drift that bad because it doesn't put out a gas in warm weather like Remedy and maybe Cimmaron Max. I hope I'm describing this right but I think he used the word volatilize? Anyway I think he said to use 1.6 ounce per acre.
I just read 2-3 ounces per acre.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom