Food Preservation ... Recipes ... Questions ... Tips and Tricks ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK so I thought I would re-start some of my prepping videos.. some of you may have already seen some of these. I will try and add at least 1 a week or so.
Here is the first one I ever did... I have upgraded my camera and cooking/canning stuff... so please bear with me for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Adding breadcrumbs to your hamburger will keep it from being tough and chewy at re-hydration. You can't even tell they're in there and it adds no appreciable weight. Makes re-hydration go faster as well (we've had it cut times in half!). We toss in a homemade packet of some powdered onion and garlic, dehydrated chives, beef and chicken broth crystals and some times a packet of dry egg noodles to make a beef soup while camping. Kids love it and will eat it at home for lunch too! We've tried using fattier beef with less than stellar results. going ransid is a very real problem when even the slightest amount of fast is left. One way to get it all out is to boil the beef after it's been browned and washed the first time. Then just drain the boiled beef and wash once. virtually zero fat left.

Frozen veggies are super easy, last forever and are just about fool proof. We tend to sprinkle some garlic salt on broccoli and cauliflower before we dehydrate it so when it get re-hydrated is has a fuller flavor (add a little butter and it's a bite of heaven!). Excellent add on the end of the second video!

Well done!

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.. never thought of bread crumbs with the hamburger.
Yeah I love to dehydrate frozen veggies.. so easy to do... several of my videos will be using dehydrated frozen veggies.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
General concensus is two years, but it depends on how well it's prepped. I've pushed the envelope and eaten 3 year old meat gravel without a so much as a twinge. It was a risk I knew I was taking. I don't think I'd do it on while hiking in the middle of nowhere, but rotating it out regularly for SHTF situations you could keep that two year mark easily.

Sorry, clock152. didn't mean to hijack. Dehydrating meat is a lot of fun!! Have you tried ground turkey or venison? Rabbit lends itself to being ground or stripped and then dehydrated because it's so lean (and yummy!!) turkey takes a little more attention, but you can dehydrate an entire Thanksgiving dinner. Figuring out how to do an entire meal make the process fun.

Oh yeah - chicken: white meat works great. Dark meat, don't bother. too much 'fat' in the meat. Ground chicken breast tastes good, but has an 'odd' texture. I think the cells break down more during dehydration.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
General concensus is two years, but it depends on how well it's prepped. I've pushed the envelope and eaten 3 year old meat gravel without a so much as a twinge. It was a risk I knew I was taking. I don't think I'd do it on while hiking in the middle of nowhere, but rotating it out regularly for SHTF situations you could keep that two year mark easily.

Sorry, clock152. didn't mean to hijack. Dehydrating meat is a lot of fun!! Have you tried ground turkey or venison? Rabbit lends itself to being ground or stripped and then dehydrated because it's so lean (and yummy!!) turkey takes a little more attention, but you can dehydrate an entire Thanksgiving dinner. Figuring out how to do an entire meal make the process fun.

Oh yeah - chicken: white meat works great. Dark meat, don't bother. too much 'fat' in the meat. Ground chicken breast tastes good, but has an 'odd' texture. I think the cells break down more during dehydration.

I will be posting a prepper thanksgiving here in a few.... I have a ton of videos that I made way back ( earlier this year...LOL ) and have a bunch more scheduled.

Latest posts

Top Bottom