For the record.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about EO's. If the republican congress would quit obstructing President Trump, specifically the Senate under Mitch McConnell, this country's financial aid to Mexico would cease to exist, but the politics of the senate are that they want and need to appease the mexicans in order to garner votes.
How could that happen? Hispanic employment under Trump is at historical lows, as well as unemployment among the black community.
The Senate is a blocking point in Trump's administration. There are over 400 bills from the house waiting on the Senate to consider.
That is my statement.
I agree--if the Congress would join with the President, the appropriation could be stripped. But you asserted that the President could do it unilaterally, which simply isn't so.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, he can't. If you need me to explain the meaning of the word "unilaterally," I can do that. If the Congress works with him, that's not unilateral.

EOs cannot directly violate legislation. See, e.g., the fight over defunding sanctuary cities: because the money was appropriated by Congress, and the allocation was made without regard to cooperating with federal immigration authorities, the Executive can't simply cut off those funds based on that.
Didn’t DACA directly violate legislation?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn’t DACA directly violate legislation?
I'm not sure, but I don't think so. I think the legislation merely called for deportation, leaving it up to the Executive to implement that directive; the Executive generally has discretion in how it executes within the confines of actually carrying out what it's told to do. Where that involves prosecution (criminal or immigration), the relevant authorities have discretion in how they prioritize things. A similar example is drugs: marijuana is still illegal at the federal level, but the Feds rarely pursue small-time cases, as they just don't have the resources to go after every little corner dealer or individual user. But if Congress were to allocate funds to the states to pursue such cases, the President couldn't refuse to disburse those funds to Colorado, Oregon, etc. unless there was a provision in the statute allowing discretion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom