For those that boycott the NRA.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if it will ever get to the point where a company can say a condition of employment is no gun ownership? On one hand they can say you don't HAVE to work there. On the other, is it legal to deny an employee a constitutional right on his private time?

I don't know if its correct or legal, but companies have fired employees because of social media comments. Nothing adjudicated in court.
In Oklahoma and other states, it's a fire at will with a few caveats. Not sure if this is all of them but organizing a union, discrimination, and maybe others will get you a pass.
Otherwise you can be canned without any reason.

Unless it's affecting a protected class, a company can make pretty much any rule it wants for employees, particularly in an at-will state. You have to understand, the company isn't "denying [the] employee a constitutional right;" only a government can do that. The company is entering into a contract with the employee that says "in exchange for employment, you agree to these conditions." "Morals clauses" are common among public figures, but can certainly be added to any contract. Those terms can include foregoing the exercise of something you otherwise have the right to do; it's called a "forebearance," and it's not only legal, it can in some cases be one of the elements necessary to form a contract ("consideration," that is, that the parties each give something to the other). Hamer v. Sidway is the case in pretty much every contract law textbook.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal precedent has already been set in that an employer can require no guns in the workplace, but must allow employees to carry in their car in the parking lot. I THINK any employer that requires no firearms as part of the employment process would likely see a law suit that they can't win.
That would be a protected class, at least in this state. It's not a constitutional matter, though.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal precedent has already been set in that an employer can require no guns in the workplace, but must allow employees to carry in their car in the parking lot. I THINK any employer that requires no firearms as part of the employment process would likely see a law suit that they can't win.
My employer has specifically said no firearms on their property, to include your car, in their parking lot. And they are in every state in the union. Are you saying that's not legal for them to say this?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My employer has specifically said no firearms on their property, to include your car, in their parking lot. And they are in every state in the union. Are you saying that's not legal for them to say this?
Not in the State of Oklahoma:
21 O.S. 1289.22(B): No person, property owner, tenant, employer, holder of an event permit, place of worship or business entity shall be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any vehicle.
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=438588

That's a specific carve-out by the Oklahoma legislature essentially creating a protected class. To your question of whether than forbid your use/possession in general, I'd argue that a general prohibition would "have the effect of prohibiting" you from transporting or storing them in a vehicle. I suppose it's possible they could write a more specific prohibition saying "can't have them in your home," but that'd be an extremely narrow restriction.

As to the statute's effect on you: my advice is don't push it. In an at-will state, you can be fired for (almost) any reason, or no reason at all; raise the issue, and you may find that "your services are no longer needed." If somehow you're found out and either explicitly fired for violating the policy, or can show that the reason given was just a pretext, you're in a good position to make a claim for unlawful termination.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...If somehow you're found out and either explicitly fired for violating the policy, or can show that the reason given was just a pretext, you're in a good position to make a claim for unlawful termination.

You will have an even stronger case if criminal harm is brought against you on your journey home from work and they have denied you the ability to protect yourself. That being the case if they fire you, make sure you get car jacked on the ride home.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear that. It never did re-direct me, and I tried it two or three times with different search parameters. I just kept getting the 'page cannot be reached.'

I was running into the same issue! Went with the Microsoft browser and it worked fine!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom