Forbes top 10 most conservative cities

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing there is a strong correlation with higher average education level and leftist mindset. It's strictly an impression but....Tulsa on average seems more "educated".

This pains me because I am a big proponent of education. The problem is the lack of free discourse and diversity of opinions in the higher education community. I fear that the average college graduate tends to equate educated with being left of center.

I think you'll find that depends upon field of study. Soft, "squishy" majors tend to be further left; hard sciences, engineering, etc.--fields with provably-correct answers--majors, in my experience, tend to be further right. Not a hard-and-fast rule, of course, but certainly my observation, and that of friends in academia whom I respect.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you'll find that depends upon field of study. Soft, "squishy" majors tend to be further left; hard sciences, engineering, etc.--fields with provably-correct answers--majors, in my experience, tend to be further right. Not a hard-and-fast rule, of course, but certainly my observation, and that of friends in academia whom I respect.
Got a family member that both he and his wife have PhD's in marine biology. You can't get farther left than they are. Big time anthropogenic climate change proponents. If it's liberal it's good with them. If they have an idea that they think they can somehow quantify, the science proves it in their minds even if it just "leans" that way without being concrete. There just isn't any way to convince them otherwise. They eat the anti-gun group statistics up. When you illustrate how they've cooked the books on those statistics they are as obtuse as anyone can imagine.

It's kind of mind blowing when you know how intelligent they really are. He and his sister were actually the subject of someone doing their dissertation on IQ down at OU some years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a family member that both he and his wife have PhD's in marine biology. You can't get farther left than they are. Big time anthropogenic climate change proponents. If it's liberal it's good with them. If they have an idea that they think they can somehow quantify, the science proves it in their minds even if it just "leans" that way without being concrete. There just isn't any way to convince them otherwise. They eat the anti-gun group statistics up. When you illustrate how they've cooked the books on those statistics they are as obtuse as anyone can imagine.

It's kind of mind blowing when you know how intelligent they really are. He and his sister were actually the subject of someone doing their dissertation on IQ down at OU some years ago.

I have a niece with a PHD, and she can't boil water without scorching it and can't put a complete sentence together. She's really good on the books though.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I thought he was referring to hyphenated American studies and whatnot.
That too, but the squishy sciences--biology, psychology, sociology, etc.--are also in that group.

The "provably correct answer" is the key differentiator. I can break out Young's modulus and a few other things and prove the bridge won't (or will) collapse under a given load. I can't give you a definitive, yes-or-no proof that the dolphins aren't actually saying "so long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a niece with a PHD, and she can't boil water without scorching it and can't put a complete sentence together. She's really good on the books though.

This is interesting because as I think about it I know quite a bit of people that are very intelligent, higher level education than just the standard 4 year college degree, do very well in their high paying job and are overall, in my opinion a very smart individual. Unfortunately, it is all book smarts and not a lick of street smarts. These same people are all also very liberal/progressive in their views.

Latest posts

Top Bottom