Ford is bringing the Maverick back…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's because Mustang and Bronco are now sub-brands. They haven't run out of ideas, old farts just don't like the new ones.

BTW, for you guys crapping on the Bronco Sport, what do you say about the Jeep Cherokee?
Like the Bronco, the Cherokee is just another “crossover” SUV/station wagon built for soccer moms to deliver their kids to school and extracurricular events. It’s a glorified city car.:rolleyes2

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like SoonerP226 said, Ford is in the business to build products that people want and to make money from selling them. And yes, Ford (nor any other company) can always please everyone with their "new models."a

As for many of the other vehicles, other than pickups and Ford Expeditions, most of the other vehicles, including SUV's all seem to look alike. It is about to the point that if I see a Corvette, I can't be sure that it is. But then, I don't necessarily buy a vehicle for its looks.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the Bronco, the Cherokee is just another “crossover” SUV/station wagon built for soccer moms to deliver their kids to school and extracurricular events. It’s a glorified city car.:rolleyes2
Basically. They're both capable doing some off-road stuff (and probably far more capable than many think), but they're not really designed for the hard-core rock crawling set.

They're designed more for the folks who want to take a minibike around a trail...

ETA: the Bronco (not the Sport) is designed with the hard-core rock crawling in mind, and has the features to accommodate that.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like SoonerP226 said, Ford is in the business to build products that people want and to make money from selling them. And yes, Ford (nor any other company) can always please everyone with their "new models."a

I remember when Chevy leaked the current body style a while back, everyone universally thought it was ugly. A few years on now, it's really grown on me. Almost bought one when dealers had new trucks, but the last few years GM seems to have developed some serious electrical issues, it's kept me staved off. All the same, I keep looking at hemi rams... Seems like that motor/trans combo has lasting power.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Basically. They're both capable doing some off-road stuff (and probably far more capable than many think), but they're not really designed for the hard-core rock crawling set.

They're designed more for the folks who want to take a minibike around a trail...

The Bronco Sport is very capable, but it looks like a Ford Escape lol. Driver experience and knowledge is more important than the truck most of the time.

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2545A7A5-ABD3-48C9-B4D8-857E06AADE8E.jpeg
As a real maverick owner I’m not sure how to feel about them re-using the name

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And I want a full-size truck with a manual transmission. Unfortunately, there are only about five of us left in these camps, so the chances of either being built are slim and none, and slim done left town...

Same here! I’ve had a 4WD truck with manual transmission ever since my first vehicle, and I’ve seen over the years how such factory-new trucks became farther and fewer in between. At present, the only pickup truck I know of that you can buy new with 4WD and a manual transmission is the Toyota Tacoma. The Wrangler pickup can come that way too, but I don’t consider it a real pickup.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here! I’ve had a 4WD truck with manual transmission ever since my first vehicle, and I’ve seen over the years how such factory-new trucks became farther and fewer in between. At present, the only pickup truck I know of that you can buy new with 4WD and a manual transmission is the Toyota Tacoma. The Wrangler pickup can come that way too, but I don’t consider it a real pickup.
The Bronco (the one based on the Ranger) will have a manual transmission available--the manual-transmissioned Sasquatch variant is nicknamed the Mansquatch--but there haven't been any rumors about it making it over to the Ranger. Annoyingly, the manual trans will be in the Ranger sold elsewhere.

I'm told that the Federal regs have a lot to do with that because it adds layers of not insubstantial cost to emissions/fuel economy and crash testing, and there's apparently not enough of a market for it in a more mass-market truck to recover those costs. They can justify it in the Bronco (and Mustang) because those are niche vehicles, and to compete in those niches, you pretty much have to have a stick available. The man trans has been gone from full-size trucks for so long that it's hard to make that argument...

Latest posts

Top Bottom