Forming Leather cheek riser to fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have a new all leather cheek riser for my Rifle. The leather is very stiff and I was wondering how I can loosen and prep the leather to fit on my Stock.
I have read that you can put them on a coat hanger above a pot of steaming water that will bake the leather very soft and formable. Once it's loose, put on, tie down tight and let dry.
Also heard to soak the leather under hot tap water and put on. Leather will shrink to good fit and form.
Give me some ideas ya'll. Want to do it tonight if possible.
Let's hear those great suggestions.
Here's a picture of the cheek rest. You can see how new and stiff it is.
Cheek pad 1.JPG Cheek pad 4.JPG Cheek pad 2.JPG

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A custom boot maker I once new always said to take a new pair of boots, and soak em in hot water about 4" deep to soak the lower part, then put em on and wear them until dry.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It won't hurt the leather to saturate it. What's the padding material? That would be my only concern, don't saturate it if it's s material that might develop mold/mildew if it stays damp.

If you're really concerned you can also dip it in hot neatsfoot oil. If you do water I would highly recommend oiling afterward, my preference is hot beeswax and neatsfoot oil, 1:1, let it cool and buff out the excess.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Gone_fishn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It only takes about 12- 15 seconds in warm water to get it ready for molding a holster. I would think it would be enough for that too.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you shoot prone and cradle the stock you'll appreciate the lacing being on the side instead of the bottom

Referring to wetting, just wet (dip in warm, almost hot, water until color stops changing) the areas of the riser that will need to really be molded to the stock.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I just tried the cheek riser on my ruger and not crazy about the fit. Lacings will end up at the inside of the stock and not on the bottom.
Going to try it anyway but have that feeling that I bought a nice leather thing that will make a great addition in the drawer of nice things I can't use.
Put it in the pay it forward thread. Someone will know how to make it work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom