Found a deer stand in city limits today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I really wanted to hunt that land I’d ask around and find out who actually owned it, visit the owners in person. I always feel if the people who you’re wanting to hunt on see a face and shake hands with the person doing the asking, it leaves a better impression.

And like the other guys have said, don’t use someone else’s stand unless he’s a buddy that told you to, that’s just asking for a lot of tempers to get flared up.
Yeah, my questions make it sound like I am "that guy". I'm not...I probably would not hunt inside city limits anyway. I was just kind of impressed and surprised to find it so it got me thinking.

From what I was told, it is doubtful the land owner is a hunter (very old rich guy apparently). And that is assuming what I was told is even true; some of that land is definitely city land. But I think it is cool if whoever owns it lets the locals explore. I didn't see much trash or wear & tear (did see some UTV/4-wheeler tracks/trails). I don't trespass...if it was posted I would not go there; if i was told to leave I would leave, if there was a farm house there I would not be there. But There were others hiking so I have no reason to doubt what I was told.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine caught a trespasser yesterday on his cellular game cam. He went out and pulled keys out of ignition of truck. (Pick up almost a 1/2 mile off road)
He called Sheriff's Department. Deputy drove in by pick up and nobody around. He ran the siren for a minute or so and after a little bit a man and woman came from direction of the pond on neighboring land. They trespassed on one property because gate wasn't locked and they could hide pick up better.

They didn't see the 2 cellular cams they drove by.

When I was in HS, we used to go out to a field off waterloo and explore, and shoot shotguns. There was a gate (open most of the time) but no keep out signs and no houses. Went there a million times and never got run off, but we also didn't leave a trace or mess with the cows that were there sometimes or the oil rig.

But in my adult life, I would never go through a gate that wasn't mine or known public land. I just want to reassure you guys LOL. This is near an area with walking trails and ponds, etc. There is no clear delineation that you are leaving the trail area and onto another plot of land.

I sort of merged two things in this thread...the first part about the coolness of finding a stand in an unexpected location where powderburners would definitely cause an issue. And the second to ask about stands on public land. I probably should have made it two different threads, but thx for all the opinions.

I think you "should" be able to use a stand on public land if someone leave it there, but I wouldn't do it as many have also pointed out. I pay taxes too and feel like public land should be first come first serve and not people using their equipment as their reservation if it keeps others from using the same tree.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Friend of mine caught a trespasser yesterday on his cellular game cam. He went out and pulled keys out of ignition of truck. (Pick up almost a 1/2 mile off road)
He called Sheriff's Department. Deputy drove in by pick up and nobody around. He ran the siren for a minute or so and after a little bit a man and woman came from direction of the pond on neighboring land. They trespassed on one property because gate wasn't locked and they could hide pick up better.

They didn't see the 2 cellular cams they drove by.
A friend got on a new deer lease a few years ago, and while he was exploring it, he got turned around and ended up on the neighboring lease. When he realized his mistake, he immediately turned around and got back on his place. A few days later, a local game warden showed up at his house accusing him of criminal trespass. He had no idea what was going on. The game warden told him the guy on the other lease (a local state trooper) had pictures of him trespassing. After explaining the situation, the game warden still raked him over the coals but didn’t ticket him or anything. I’ve been out to my friend’s lease several time helping him with food plots and doing a little clearing with my skid steer for shooting lanes, and almost every time I’ve been out there, there‘s hard evidence that the state trooper has been joy riding/trespassing on his lease. My friend is a much better person than I am, because he won’t ”do unto other what they’ve already done to you”.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you "should" be able to use a stand on public land if someone leave it there, but I wouldn't do it as many have also pointed out. I pay taxes too and feel like public land should be first come first serve and not people using their equipment as their reservation if it keeps others from using the same tree.
Ya never know if the guy might just be on a lunch/potty break. I wouldn't really expect someone to take down their stand (and put it up again) in such cases. :anyone:

Just a thought.
___

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A friend got on a new deer lease a few years ago, and while he was exploring it, he got turned around and ended up on the neighboring lease. When he realized his mistake, he immediately turned around and got back on his place. A few days later, a local game warden showed up at his house accusing him of criminal trespass. He had no idea what was going on. The game warden told him the guy on the other lease (a local state trooper) had pictures of him trespassing. After explaining the situation, the game warden still raked him over the coals but didn’t ticket him or anything. I’ve been out to my friend’s lease several time helping him with food plots and doing a little clearing with my skid steer for shooting lanes, and almost every time I’ve been out there, there‘s hard evidence that the state trooper has been joy riding/trespassing on his lease. My friend is a much better person than I am, because he won’t ”do unto other what they’ve already done to you”.
That is unfortunate but not a surprise. Zero accountability from people in positions of power is ruining western civilization. It reminds me of the rule makers on masks always being caught not wearing masks themselves.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I figured it would be proper etiquette not to ever use someone's stand, but it certainly was in an unexpected place. As for trespassing, I would never be dumb enough to do that, but there are trails and even sidewalks there and no fencing or signage between the city land and the alleged private land. There was land that backed up to it with barbed wire and signs which of course was respected. I suppose the land owner (they said he's an old man) could have given the guy permission, but seems weird right by a neighborhood. I still bet some guy who lives nearby is an opportunist hunter.

As for the gentlemanly thing, although I agree, people leaving portable stands up on public land and not beign there prevents other people from hunting too; so that isn't exactly very nice if they have a prime spot. But that's why I'm asking; thx for the response.
Get OnX hunt and you can see who really owns the property and then maybe you can get permission too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom